Catalogs are Rolling in!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Heavens, Bucka'!

Moving all your sprouts?! It is painful for me to even think about doing that.

With these digitS'?!? I'd probably kill 90% of them . . .

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bucka, doesn't the permanent marker run when the towel gets wet? Obviously it must still be legible or you wouldn't use it....I just had a visual of me carefully starting seeds and finding my labeling method gone haywire! Actually, that's not a visual, that's a vivid memory.

Labeling for me seems to be the weak link in my seed starting.
But it does make the growing season interesting and full of surprises! Who doesn't love a good mystery?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
The plastic bag gets placed on top of a warm surface. Over the years, it has varied: an old waterbed heater, on top of an electric water heater, on top of a freezer in the house that ran all the time, on top of the incubator, etc. Now we have a masonry heater with a warming bench, so I use that with some towels to prevent the seeds from cooking.
ooooh! you gave me a reason to hold onto an old waterbed heater i found while cleaning the upstairs closet! hope it still works! :p one less thing to have to toss if it is still useful!

i just bought my first packet of seeds in 2014! i bought seeds for 2014 back in 2013 but this is the first i got in 2014! i've been drooling over some Glass Gem Corn seeds since i saw them last year. found a local listing on ebay and ordered a pack of 25 seeds for a decent price of 3.50! i've been drooling over the Painted Mountain corn too but those Glass Gems were prettier to me! they look like jelly beans with all the pretty colors:gig

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
. . . . .I just had a visual of me carefully starting seeds and finding my labeling method gone haywire! Actually, that's not a visual, that's a vivid memory.

Labeling for me seems to be the weak link in my seed starting.
But it does make the growing season interesting and full of surprises! Who doesn't love a good mystery?

I have had much the same problem with labeling. Now I just mark one corner on every starter container and number the seed rows and spaces. Then I put the number and variety name in my note book. I have managed to keep my garden note book for the past 4 years and that has been a great help in identifying seedlings. This way I don't have to worry about the rain smearing or the sun fading my labels.

For example in container "A" I planted 3 white currants in the front of row 1 (1a), and 3 Jaune Flammee in the back three spaces of 1 (1b). In row 2 I planted 3 Black Sea Man in front (2a) and 3 Isis Candy (2b) in the three back spaces. I continued to list in this way. All I need to do is set the correct corner to my left and I can identify all the varieties. In boxes, I might plant half with one variety and half the box with another. Again, all I need is to align the box to my left and I know what's growing where there.

Sure has made a difference in the past four years I've been doing it.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Dang it!!! Now I'm ordering Glass bead corn seeds! The girls will flip but I need to grow corn like I need a hole I the head. But it's WAAAAY to pretty not to. They'll go bonkers when they see it. Thanks chickie!!! I mean it that stuff is just too cool

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
First order out to Osborne Seed!

They get most of my onion order in recent years but I've got 2 other places with some of my onion seed!

Oh no! That means I've gotta get 2 more seed orders put together in the next few days!

digitS'

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dang it!!! Now I'm ordering Glass bead corn seeds! The girls will flip but I need to grow corn like I need a hole I the head. But it's WAAAAY to pretty not to. They'll go bonkers when they see it. Thanks chickie!!! I mean it that stuff is just too cool
check out some of the pics on their facebook page! really neat all the different colors people have been able to get to pop up. it's supposed to be good for popcorn.

Latest posts