Catapala

aussieheelr

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I think these are just beautiful trees. Before I found out what the were I called them broccoli trees since their leaves are as dence as a crown of broccoli. So what do you all know about them? Do they tend to have roots that sit towards the top of the ground or do their roots tend to be very deep? Are they toxic to livestock?

http://www.gardensandplants.com/uk/plant.aspx?plant_id=264

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The seedpods are reportedly somewhat poisonous; also, when I was doublechecking my vague memory that catalpa is on the list of species whose wood/sawdust can be mildly toxic/irritating to woodworkers (it is), I also came across repeated online mentions to its roots being poisonous. As far as whether you'd want catalpa around livestock, it seems to me it depends what kind of livestock and whether it'd be in situations where they'd be likely to be eating the seedpods or gnawing on the tree itself.

The main thing I would say about catalpa is that the wood is extremely poor and brittle, and unless growing in a fairly closed-canopy forest situation, it has a strong tendency to self-destruct in storms, especially if you had a fenceline or a vehicle underneath it :p

The leaves are really neat, though, and fun for kids to play with. If it would be located somewhere that having part or all of it come crashing down won't be a big problem, I could certainly see planting one.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
One thing I know for sure. Catalpa worms make the best darn panfish bait ever.

Latest posts