CATS

Texas Fluffy Feet

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Male Cat's to be exact. They keep spraying my plants! I have everything in containers this year because I have very few sunny spots and terrible soil. I have looked at the things for sale at the feed store and pet store that you can spray or sprinkle to keep them away from things, but the problem is they also repel dogs. I have a dog, in fact, I have a male cat. I don't have a problem with my own pets, they behave the problem is some strays that keep coming in the yard. I don't want to punish my own pets so does anyone have a clever way to prtect the plants other than those repellants?
These 2 males causing the trouble are to smart to get in a cat trap so if that was an answer it has been tried for weeks with no success. :rolleyes:

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Plant marigolds? Somewhere I think I heard that the cats don't like the smell of them and avoid them. Don't know for sure.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Commercially available coyote urine usually repels cats. If you make a perimeter around the garden then it will keep cats out. Or make a perimeter around the property and keep your cats in and others out.

They also have those motion sensor sprinklers that give a nice spray to critters that walk around. Just make sure that you turn them off while you're out. I'm sure your animals will get use to it. :)

Most "pad feet" animals (raccoons, cats, etc.) don't like cucumbers because of the little hairs on the leaves and stems. Serves double purpose for you.

Also, any coarse material laid down will discourage them from walking on areas.

Texas Fluffy Feet

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hmmmm... coyote urine you say. Man I'd hate to have the job of the guy who has to get that stuff and bottle it! Sounds like an episode of Dirty Jobs. :p

I suppose coyote tinkle would certainly smell no worse then the cats so I may have to give that a try. I have plenty of marigolds in the area, a cucumber plant and it all sits out in containers by my pond which is surrounded by rocks. That is my biggest sunny spot on the property.

As for the motion sensor sprinkler thing that would be cool and serve the purpose of watering too! I'm not worried about my cat, he's a nut who likes to sit in the rain. He'd probably walk in front of it just to make it spray.

Thanks for the ideas I will give them a try!

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Texas Fluffy Feet said:
Hmmmm... coyote urine you say. Man I'd hate to have the job of the guy who has to get that stuff and bottle it! Sounds like an episode of Dirty Jobs. tongue
My sentiments exactly. :lol:

Good luck on the different methods!

Latest posts