Celeriac ????

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have decided to try and grow celeriac this year. Ready to start my seeds today. Since I have to wait until no danger of frost, they will be transplants around the end of May.
Can I start them in the "6 pack" size containers, or am I better off in a larger pot. Seems like since they are a root plant, they might not appreciate 2 transplants.
Read that they are "good" keepers. How good? Should I try and grow a bunch to have on hand through the winter?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted my seed very late, Lesa. But, they are out there in the greenhouse.

They seem to transplant okay. I have to say that I may transplant out of my cookie boxes into the garden but I don't sow anything directly into a tray insert. (Maybe I should try some of those 200-cell plug trays.)

Celeriac keeping quality? The best! Just don't try to "pretty up" the bulbs by cutting back on the roots too hard. That will encourage decay. In the crisper drawer of the fridge, they will last months and months!

Best mashed potatoes possible: put in 1 or 2 celery roots to the pot!

Steve :p

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you planted very late- I guess that must be my case, as well? I will go ahead and put them into larger containers. How many do you plant?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now, don't let me influence you too much on how you start seed, Lesa ;).

A lot of decisions should be based on what works best for the gardener, available space, ease of handling . . . moonbeams, stardust . . . etc.

I usually have about half a wheel barrow load by fall. They can go in the ground with the carrots in my outdoor storage or in the fridge. I'm not sure what I'll have this fall - the seed is just now coming up. I'm late!

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Let me know how successful you are with this Lesa, I may take a stab at it next year. I do like the taste myself, but convincing the family to try it this summer or fall is what I have to do before I give a portion of my garden to growing some. ;)

Good luck in your endeavers! :pop

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Since celeriac is a short roundish root I don't think you need worry about deforming the root by transplanting. I have to say "I think" because I've never grown it except by direct seeding into the ground.

Latest posts