Cheap Azalea, in the ground!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Bought this for $5 the other day. Thought I'd share. Hope it survives...

GardeningSpring2012March282012yardworkpictures007.jpg

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have two Azaleas that are wild - Yes, wild azaleas in zone 3b. Well, they're not specifically azaleas, but they're Rhododendrons (as I understand it, that is a very broad genus).
Plum Sallow (Rhododendron principes) is usually seen as a tiny one-branch, flowerless plant on roadsides. If left to grow (although it takes a while) It becomes a marvelous (and poisonous) tree. It's flowers resemble (more'picture-perfect') Plum flowers (white that blushes to pink), and it's leaves resemble the leaves of Saskatoons and Sallows. The berries are bright orange. It's beautiful, but sadly, I must give it to a friend.... It is incredibly poisonous (even more than Buttercups) so I must get rid of it before it gets rid of my small stock. :(

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ducks, it certainly looks healthy enough! I never feel I can breathe a sign of relief until they make it through one winter... but for 5 bucks, how wrong can you go??

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good luck I used to try to buy them but they never made it through our winters. When we lived in GA they were everywhere and so beautiful. I hope they make it for you.

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What's the usual farthest north zone for azaleas? I'm tired of stuff getting nipped in the bud by late frosts, buddleia won't grow here in zone 4, my sister had nice bushes in zone 5 in central MA. I never looked into them because I know deer eat them but with my 2 dogs the deer seem to have decided to stop hitting my front yard for munchies. I'd love an azalea or two.

Latest posts