Cheap Thermometers

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
They seem to be doing okay for me!

I'm reluctant to give them a blanket endorsement because who knows about varying quality of things that cost under $20?! Still, getting a cheaper version of the Acurite I've had for several years gave me a big sigh of relief in 2015.

The other one has the bells and whistles. I just need the remote sensor to give me an up-to-date reading! After one season, the big guy couldn't do it - through the greenhouse wall, 40' of open air and the kitchen wall!

I've still got the Oregon Instruments base unit from years and years ago. I bought new sensors for it once but thought I'd move on to something easy to find locally. Besides, it must be nearly 20 years old! And ... one channel picks up the neighbor's sensor :rolleyes:. That's right. I know what the outdoor temperature is without putting Annie out and letting Diesel try to read her!

Name the thermometers? Well, of course I do :). Thomas and Clarabell saved my peace of mind in 2015 by reading right through the insulated shed wall, 80' of open air and the kitchen wall. They are still doing it this morning ... where they reported 42° unheated degrees. Gotta get the heater/fan set up before sensitive babies go out there!

New Toby and Henrietta are keeping track of the greenhouse this spring - and doing journeyman service! Yes.

I've decided that Diesel and Annie can be relegated to a hoopie on the lawn ... soon as I figure out how to protect Annie from the direct sun.

Why would I name my thermometers? Well, Toby and Thomas are twins. Clarabell, Henrietta, and Annie are triplets ... it was the best thing I could think of!

Steve

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have a La Crosse, sensor in the greenhouse the rest of the unit is in the house on the wall beside my computer desk, hasn't failed yet. This is it's third year, only had to change the batteries once, last week.
Annette

Circle-M-Farm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have always used a taylor greenhouse thermometer, then I got a acurite indoor/ outdoor wireless thermometer but I still have the taylor on the wall in the greenhouse.
A buddy of mine showed me his La Crosse 926-25102-WGB :drool not cheep but really nice.
He has a number of probes that tells him air temp, soil temp, humidity etc. He also gets a alert on his phone if the temperature gets too low in the greenhouse. I think I may have to get one real soon. ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm too olde and lazy to go out there anymore often than I have to, @Circle-M-Farm .

I think that La Crosse is about the same price I paid for the Oregon Scientific. The technology seemed fairly new back then and I'm not sure if there were cheap remotes.

I'd feel funny wandering around the neighborhood asking whose sensor it's reading ;).

Steve

Circle-M-Farm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I don't think you would have to worry about reading someone's signal other than yours since it runs on a private signal. From what I understand the signal from the "probe" to the base unit works much like a wireless thermometer and then the base unit is plugged into your internet router.

I saw another one that I really like that monitors not only the ambient air temperature and soil temperature but also the soil moisture and the amount of light that's in the greenhouse. (might be another possibility for my new greenhouse)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, it's my old Oregon Scientific that reads someone's sensor.

I really think it is on my next door neighbor's house. Her ex-husband put a "weather station" up several years ago.

She might panic if I asked her ... thinking I might have some access to all the security cameras he put up ... he had lots of toys.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Diesel may have found Annie!

I don't know if I can trust him to maintain correspondence ... frankly, I know I can't! But, I'll see if he has sense enuf to consistently register what Annie has to say from the hoop house, now that she isn't just outside on the deck and Diesel can see her thru the window.

No, Diesel is now on the deck and I'm looking at his displays thru the window! In the dark, I have to usse a flashlight to see the display ... oh, I suppose I could open the window and squeeze his light on. As it is, I feel like a security guard. Honestly, I often feel like security ...

Steve

Latest posts