Check out this amazing soda bottle garden!

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2013/...built-from-hundreds-of-recycled-soda-bottles/

This put me in mind of the "gutter garden" that someone started last year. I like this idea because the soda bottles are small enough that most anybody will have room to add a few. I'm going to try this with lettuce and spinach. I'm wondering if the bottles will make the soil too warm, but it's worth a try. I have 100s of feet of fence post to attach them to.....now I'm going to have to scare up some soda bottles.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is a COOL idea!

I googled to see pictures of 'gutter gardens' and this came up -
8721_vegetable-garden-ideas-2_rect540.jpg

And then it hit me - <SHAZAM!> that my church goes through one of those big coffee cans just about every week. I'm always sneaking off with the empties because they come in handy for everything...
:D
Plastic coffee cans attached along the sides of my back porch.. filled with salad greens :clap

yeah, right .. like I don't have ENOUGH to do already. :rolleyes:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is great, Nitty. It could be a theme for today on TEG:

"The Pot as Enclosed Space!"

I did a google image search of this picture:

vertical-8.jpg

Google had all these pictures of mostly young people putting together these sorts of containers. It also came up with a link to this:

salad_zpse41e9a3e.jpg

Notice the gardener's knife there on the wall waiting for the next harvest of lettuce leaves. The plants are just a little further along than those in the 1st picture and not quite as artistically displayed.

Steve
as I am sitting here at the south window waiting for neighbor Ken to wake up & go off to work while snow falls outside and 108sqft of asphalt roofing warms itself in my utility room, waiting to go on my new shed :rolleyes:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are they deep enough for the lettuces? I thought lettuce containers needed to be at least 6-10 inches deep?

Mary

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wonder about that, too, but since there's little tending required, I wouldn't mind cutting them smaller than usual and resowing.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
That really is great. Don't forget drain holes on the bottom...

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Digits, the picture of the bottle garden wall - the one where they used larger bottles and cut 3 holes in them - can you tell, is there just one little seed in each space??

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
canesisters said:
Digits, the picture of the bottle garden wall - the one where they used larger bottles and cut 3 holes in them - can you tell, is there just one little seed in each space??
It looks like one seed (or one plant) in each opening to me.

You guys find the greatest websites. Keep 'em coming, please.

Latest posts