Cheese Beignets

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Made these last night to celebrate the end of Passover (and the return to normal floury food)

https://www.latimes.com/recipe/cheese-beignets

IMPORTANT: MODIFICATIONS MADE

1. Instead of mustard, cayenne, salt and pepper, I used an equivalent amount of sandwich sprinkle (for those who don't use Penzey's spices, this is a mix of salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning)

2. Due to a miscommunication, I used about DOUBLE the butter listed (1-1/2 sticks). This worked but it probably excessive.

3. I used something like TRIPLE the amount of cheese listed (I went by weight, not measure so that's a guessitmate)

4. Different cheeses. I used a mixture of two wedges (about 1lb) of Pecorino Toscano (any youngish semi-soft sheep's milk cheese would work, I think) and 4 cubes (about 4 oz) of aged Gouda (I was using Beemster XO, but when I have done it before I used the oldest Gouda I could get. The older it is, the sharper the flavor will be.)

5. I used corn oil instead of peanut.

Enjoy!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Two years ago, DD learned that she was supposed to limit gluten in her diet. I could hardly imagine not having foods made with flours so I began exploring substitutes for wheat flour.

About the time I was wound up and had a few minor baking successes, DD decided that she would only concentrate on one or two of her more serious allergies and gluten wasn't one of those. So ...

Right now, I have flaxseed flour, millet flour, coconut flour, several more.

In my simplistic way, I recently decide that pumpkin cornbread was pretty good. Cornbread is fairly common on the dinner table. Pumpkin okay - the flavor of the cornmeal dominates. How about using up these "strange" seed flours by substituting for say half or more of the wheat flour. I'll be trying that.

Steve