Cherokee Purple Tomatos!

that_crazy_lady

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am in north east Oklahoma, dont remember what zone that is in.
I do not have to keep them in pots, just seems easyer. The ground here has a lot of clay and rocks in it, and between my brothers, dad, dog, and the wind there is junk all over :rolleyes: ...thats on my list for this year. That being said I mite get the back yard done to put these guys out there. It only looks like an overgrown yard, while the frount looks more like a jungle, with random mini junk heaps....I keep thinking about it the more I typ. lol.
I'm going to guess I'v got around 1/4 acer that would be good for a vegetable garden. There is more space to plant stuff, but the light is gets is very limited.

The plants came from wal-mart, and are about 8" tall.
The cherokees will need something to climb up, right? How big/tall should that be?

Oh Steve I am Cherokee too. I also live one mile north from Cherokee county, and one of my mares is named Cherokee. And if any Cherokee people or history lovers ever find them selves around here, they should stop by and see the only Cherokee court house still standing.

And just to be clear the dogs are not loose where I'll be planting ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh I don't know . . . gardening is such an emotional commitment. I'd hate to have them fail. It would kind of be a betrayal :rolleyes:.

Splitting can be a serious problem here. I can have all the ripe tomatoes I can throw over the fence . . . if'n all the plants are Early Girls. Okay, I always have some Early Girls ;). Cherries take priority - it is just the big heirlooms that are very nearly out of my reach for vine-ripening.

JP, Dad is from Choctaw country down in southeast OK but Dad grew up in New Mexico. Grandfather was from up farther north but I can't think of the community. ("Hoodat" may be from your part of the world.)

The Cherokee Purple may be a fairly good choice for a container tomato. Seems that the plant doesn't grow as large as some heirlooms.

Steve

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have Cherokee Purples in for the first time also.

One of them has decided to set a bazillion blossoms in one wee area. I don't know what happened... Siamese twin suckers? The topmost blossom was a big fat mutant double, until it went brown and crunchy and fell off. The rest are hanging on, tho. If it actually sets fruit like that, I'll need a serious stake to hold up the plant.

Again... I wish I had a photo. Will see what I can do about that this evening.

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have several cherokee purple growing in my raised beds right now, the plants are about 3 feet tall and have tomatoes the size of lemons right now, probably won't be long now, should have maters by end of June, maybe sooner. :D

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
::: glares hatefully at the person with the better climate :::

:gig
Wifezilla.......I am in TEXAS, glare all you want....tee hee! I have been picking ripe tomatoes since 1st of April.
(gleefully rubs hands together)

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Last year my neighbor grew some Cherokee Purples, and they were delicious!! Some were a bit odd shaped, but had great flavor! I have one plant in a big pot that is just starting to get some flowers!!

I NEVER have good luck with tomatos!! But this year I am growing them in pots and I hope to have them do a lot better!

Latest posts