cherry tree from a seed?

beeper

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have a small greenhouse, and a friend wants me to try to grow a cherry tree from a seed, help! What should I try?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
:frow Welcome to the forum! :weee Glad you joined us! :frow

Cherries need three to four months of cold stratification before they break dormancy and germinate. That way, in the wild they sprout in the springtime, not in the fall when winter will kill them.

What I have done for other tree seeds, hickories, black walnuts, and crab apples but no cherries, is to soak them in water a couple of days to make sure they are wet through and through, then put them in the freezer for several months before planting them. I just put them in the ground in the spring after danger of frost had passed and kept the area damp, not wet. They sprouted pretty well. I actually got 8 out of 8 black walnuts.

Hope this helps.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just be aware that the tree you get may not resemble the cherry you plant, it will be a cherry, but likely not like the seed that was planted. Just make sure you have the time and space for a potential dud tree. (as far as harvesting tasty cherries)

beeper

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks all for your quick responses, I will put the seeds in the freezer.... Also, thanks for the nice welcome, I will use this site alot, as I am an animal person, not so much the gardener, but for the last few years its what I do at work, so always have questions.
:p

Latest posts