Chest freezer into root cellar

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Interesting idea here: they turned their old chest freezer into a root cellar. I do think it might be hard to get to the bottom of it...might be a good idea to put some upside down crates in the bottom to keep things off the very bottom. Also, a commenter on pinterest noted that chest freezers can be dangerous for children, they can suffocate if they get locked in.

http://lifehacker.com/5936047/turn-a-dead-chest-freezer-into-a-miniature-root-cellar

zyRSgold

Sprout
Reaction score
You say good, I very much agree with your point of view, refuel ah! We should strive.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I would take the lid off and get rid of it if I were going to do that. :/ You'd be better off to make a wooden lid. I would also think sealing it shut that tightly would insulate it against the cooler soil temps and defeat the purpose. You can do this with 55-gal drums too. Bury them into a hillside and they are easier to access.

ETA: I see he used PVC air vents to address the temp issue. At least a kid could still breathe if they got locked inside... :p

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Intriguing....

Living in New Orleans, it's way too hot and humid to store root veg.

I've been considering making a concrete pit in my raised "basement", but the water table is such (as is flooding) that I don't know how to make it work. It's why we don't have proper basements. :)

I've been considering a chest freezer or something that would dehumidify and maybe cool just a little bit... but I don't want more drain on my power.

Of course, my potato harvest is so tiny, it probably won't matter. ;)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Joz, where you are, not only is it hot and humid, but you are below sea level! If you tried to dig a root cellar, N'awlins would spring a leak! :lol:

I thought about trying to store my potato harvest last year, but it turned out not to be an issue--we ate 'em all! I "stored" my sweet potatoes in the dining room in laundry baskets and they lasted several months until we ate them all up too!

Latest posts