Chicken Fertilizer?

Reaction score
How long do I need to let chicken poop (don't know if there is a better word) compost before using it in our garden? What does it do best around? Does anyone know the N-P-K of it? How long until I need to re-apply?
And the last question I swear...is it possible to sell this stuff? I have tons of it...well not really tons but a lot!
P.S. I don't know very much about chickens they are my wife's project and she's the chicken guru in my world.

Thanks for the help!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
The answer depends on whether the poop is mixed with wood chips, hay, etc or just plain poop... I don't know what zone you are in- but if you have winter, I recommend putting the plain poop on your soil now and tilling/mixing it in during the spring. If the poop is mixed with wood chips....it takes years for the wood chips to compost. I would say you will need a pile for those. It is high in nitrogen, not sure of the numbers. I reapply as it builds up- gotta put it somewhere! Do not apply directly to plants. Good luck!

Reaction score
lesa said:
The answer depends on whether the poop is mixed with wood chips, hay, etc or just plain poop... I don't know what zone you are in- but if you have winter, I recommend putting the plain poop on your soil now and tilling/mixing it in during the spring. If the poop is mixed with wood chips....it takes years for the wood chips to compost. I would say you will need a pile for those. It is high in nitrogen, not sure of the numbers. I reapply as it builds up- gotta put it somewhere! Do not apply directly to plants. Good luck!
I'm in zone 6b, no wood chips just shredded paper. Sounds good thanks!

jamespm_98

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I run my chickens directly in the garden in the off season in a chicken tractor (see my page if you want an idea of what it looks like) and before I sow a heavy feeder like corn. I bascially put a layer of shredded leaves, newspaper , straw and any other high carbon material both in with them and cover the ground behind them to basically sheet compost. If you have plenty of high carbon material you will not burn your plants, if you try to use the chicken poo directly you will have problems. I agree, now is the time to get it on the soil, but make sure you have some high carbon material since you will loose the nitrogen if it is not being used to break down the carbon.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Lesa is right... mixed in with wood chips takes a lot longer... only if you don't have a ton of other s*@.... opps.... I mean STUFF going on in there. :D *snort*

Latest posts