Chicken fraud?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When you hear of free range chickens you picture happy biddies, scratching in the grass, eating bugs, seeds and whatever else there is to eat BUT
Did you know that in order to be labeled free range chickens only need access to the outside for 5 minutes per day? People in maximum security prisons get more time than that.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Note that it also says "Access to" the outdoors. When chickens are raised in broiler houses they become paranoid and most will not go outside even if the door is open, but that fulfills the requirement and even if they never set foot outside they are considered free range.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is an excellent example of how liars and thieves use the language to deceive and steal from you... Thanks to the lawyers and psychobabblers, it has become an artform...
Sam

It depends on what the definition of "is" is . If you know what I mean.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's sad that people do this to chickens and mislead consumers about how the birds are being managed.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's all about the money. I'm not into chickens for the money so my chickens are really and truly free to range over the whole 30 acres. Lucky for me they stick to about a football field's distance in every direction.

I am considering fencing the small orchard adjacent to their coop and stop the 'free ranging' mess in the front yard as well as some damage to my perennials. Still, that's a big area for less than 2 dozen birds.

Latest posts