Chicken Math is striking again!

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So I went on Craigslist to get rid of a couple roosters. Now I have found myself inquiring to a few people about Black Copper Marans, Splash Orpingtons, and Wheaten Marans. So far I am for sure getting 3 BCMs. If all else goes well I will be adding 3 SO and 3 WMs. I can sense my feed bill rising once again...

So as of right now for hens I have- 2 Buff Orpingtons, 3 Columbian Wyandottes, 3 Blue Andalusians, 3 Welsummers, 5 Easter Eggers, 1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Gold Star, and 1 Rhode Island Red. I also have a Cuckoo Maran rooster named Cogburn, (if he has 9 new additions he will have his hands full!) It's hard to not add more to the flock when so many people around here want eggs! The "backyard chicken revolution" hasn't quite hit MN yet. Oh, and the fact that my dad came over and said "happy summer!" and added three times as much square footage to the run than what the girls had before. I think he wishes he had the chickens and not me...and he has plans in the works to make an addition onto the coop. I guess our deal was that if he built the coop he got to do whatever he wanted (I think he's taking advantage of that deal). Anyways, I'll keep you all informed of my growing flock :cool:

BackerBunch

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It sounds like your dad might be an enabler. Lucky you!

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Well....Send your dad over to my house!!!!!!!! :thumbsup Maine is a great place to vacation and I could use an enthusiastic builder! Enjoy your new gift.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
just remember to keep the newbies in quarantine for a couple weeks to be sure they don't bring in any pests/diseases. just remember that chickens can't get colds. so any signs of runny eyes or noses or constant sneezing is bad and i would walk away from those new birds in a hurry. make sure to change your clothes before touching your current flock if you've been somewhere that had that issue. birds under stress can show symptoms shortly after transport or they could over the time period while you're quarantining them.

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well I was just informed that the three Black Copper Marans aren't vaccinated and weren't fed medicated feed. So that means I won't be getting them unless there is some alternative solution that I haven't heard about? No use in bringing these birds in, having them contract something, and having my land contaminated and putting my future flocks at risk. I'm very disapointed but at the same time i'm thinking it's a blessing in disguise...

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
is your current flock vaccinated? if it is i see it could be a problem. though you can get vaccinations for older birds but it is more a waste of $$ since the vials can be big bucks or be for 1000 doses. i know there are a few that can be misted over the birds or put in the drinking water for older birds. i think i've seen these sold on Valley Vet and Jeffer's Pet supply websites.

you shouldn't have to worry about them not having the medicated feed. that is only supposed to help them with coccidosis that can sicken or kill chicks when they are under 8 weeks. that only helps with some forms of cocci they could get. adults can still get other forms of cocci later in life. those forms can be treated with Sulmet if it comes to that. just make sure if you want to avoid using antibiotics of any kind that you keep everything clean and tidy as much as possible. if the shavings or any food get wet remove it as quickly as possible so it doesn't make them sick or cause bacterial/fungal situations. cocci can come from many sources like wild birds. dogs and cats have a form of it but it usually isn't transmittable to birds. a good diet, lots of ventilation, plenty of space per bird, and clean conditions of the coop should help keep your birds happy and healthy.

mycroplasma are the ones to be careful with. unfortunately these are very difficult to treat and most flocks get depopulated or destroyed when they get them. MG/MS are why chickens might look like they have a cold but it can be much worse. they will eventually stop eating, hens stop laying, and they may loose weight and die. farms have to be sterilized of the bacteria and no birds on the property for quite some time to let it air out. there are some vaccinations against MG but i have yet to find it on an open market without being a big farm. i'm not sure if there is one for MS. if you choose to keep the birds you're put under quarantine and no new birds in or current birds out. but you'll be treating your birds for the rest of their lives with antibiotics until they die of starvation or you put them down. there is one medication i have found online that according to their website doesn't have a withdrawal period for eating eggs and it is used more as a monthly maintenance plan. i've read that some people will use it during quarantining new birds. it's called Denaguard and it is for pigs too.

unfortunately my flock has MG and it was found during my NPIP testing a month ago. they passed the NPIP portion and i paid to have the MS/MG testing done which found most of my flock to have it :hit i've lost a couple of birds since then but most of my flock are looking healthy. the youngest 3 and my Chickie were found clean of it strangely (he's such a pampered pet roo!) .

MuranoFarms

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Oh boy!!! Watch yourself with those marans! They are super addicting!!!!!!!! ;)

Vaccinated for what? Mareks? You can vaccinate them yourself, they just have to get 3 shots instead of 1 I believe. (kinda like kids get boosters) As far as medicated feed....how old are they? After the chick stage, medicated feed doesn't really matter anymore....and if they are still chicks switching them as soon as you get them would be fine.

Latest posts