chicken poo 'tea'

akyramoto

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I know I can make a 'tea' fertilizer out chicken poo ( stuffed in a burlap bag like a giant poo tea bag), any recommendations on what plants can have the fertilizer & what I should NOT use it on?

Previously I thought that I could use it on anything......I have a feeling I might be wrong!

I have mostly veggies & some trees......

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would think that as long as the "tea" wasn't too strong a concentration, you should be able to use it on your trees, and veggies. You just don't want to burn them with a high concentration of nitrogen.

As to veggies, I would direct the tea to the base of the plants, and try not to get any on the vegetation. For lettuce, radish's, beets, and other things that you may be eating within a short while, I think I would skip those.

Corn, late brussel sprouts, leeks, cabbage, squash, etc., basically things you won't be harvesting for awhile should be fine. Trees, and flower beds would be fine also.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have used manure tea, (My huband calls it "Poop Soup") for many years. I dilute it at least 50/50 with water, when it is "new", I use just a few tablespoons in a gal of water. I apply it it on the soil under the plants. Being careful not to get it on the leaves or stalks.

I use purchased composted cow manure in a big Igloo drink container it holds about 10 gallons of water. I keep it in my potting shed. It works really well. I used an old pillowcase for the "tea" bag.

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
All this talk of "tea" makes me want a cookie!!

Actually not to highjack the post, but what about really old chicken poo? I am cleaning out our old chicken coop and there is lots of old straw and chicken poo. Good for the garden or better for the compost heap? Or, could it have too many harmful buggies?

akyramoto

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Nubsmum said:
All this talk of "tea" makes me want a cookie!!

Actually not to highjack the post, but what about really old chicken poo? I am cleaning out our old chicken coop and there is lots of old straw and chicken poo. Good for the garden or better for the compost heap? Or, could it have too many harmful buggies?
depends on how old it is, chicken poo is super hot. You can't go wrong with putting it in the compost pile

Latest posts