Chicken Question

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Of course I will have to discuss all this with Monty J and see where he stands on getting rid of the hens. He said cull the flock and start over???? I'm not sure I can go threw that again.
The part of the "band" DD is in is the Color Guard. She will twirl flags in time with the music (for those who are not familiar with that) She will be going on trips during football season and competitions after that. She has two parades on the 4th of July!!!! :eek: I'm going to be one busy momma this summer. I will also help out with trips and concession stand duties....along with fund raisers. She is super excited to get busy with her camps. One thing I'm hoping she will get to experience is watching WVU's band practice. How exciting is that???

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I pretty much agree with Bob on this one. The chicken you buy from the store is 8 weeks old at most. Just like a baby calf or baby pig, that meat is extremely tender and with very little flavor compared to a more mature animal. What they eat can make some difference in flavor and maybe texture, like marbling in beef, but the vast majority of the difference in taste and texture between their chicken and ours comes from maturity.

Anyone who keeps animals commercially and actually makes a profit from them knows that an unhealthy animal is not a productive animal. You can always find an idiot to put on the news but practically all commercial farmers are responsible human beings with families and a life. The feed is carefully formulated to be as inexpensive as possible yet provide all the nutrients they need to be healthy and productive. They don't use sawdust, they use different grains with certain additives to get the minerals, vitamins, and amino acids they need. Hormones have been outlawed for chickens for decades. Supposedly they can no longer use antibiotics as a preventative but can use them to treat a specific disease. That's easy to get around, you just find a vet willing to sell a prescription. Still, it is a step in the right direction though it will take some serious and expensive inspections to enforce that provision.

There are some things about the commercial chicken industry I don't like and I don't treat my chickens like that, but to say that

those birds are mostly ill kept and fed, perhaps, some kind of garbage mixed with sawdust

is just not right. Sorry Ducks.

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dew, how exciting! You will have so much fun, along with all the work you are about to be doing. You will also be making memories that years later, will be fondly recalled. It takes a special Mom to jump in and do what you are doing. Hats off to Dew!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just tossing this out, not sure if it's helpful or not. Most of my flock is 2yrs+ and they are JUST NOW getting up to a reasonable amount of eggs from the winter break.

But Mary is right! You've got so much going on right now, if the chickens are no longer a pleasure, it might be time to let them go.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
As most of you know I have 11 hens. They are two years old now. Early this spring I had to have Monty J put one down for an imapacted crop. Now I'm seeing a problem with a lack of eggs. Some days I am lucky and get 6 eggs but most days I only get 4. Can any of you tell me if I would be able to isolate them to find out who are laying and who still is not laying? I appreciate your help.
Id hate to do it, but I'm seriously considering culling the entire flock.
They slow up as they age. They are probably all laying just not as often.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Not saying I'm the expert on what commercial growers feed their birds, and I am NOT bashing large poultry operations, or smaller ones. All that I know is that my birds have flavor and store chickens do not, hence the phrase about meat that we are not familiar with "tastes like chicken." MY birds do NOT taste like the rubbery store sold birds that need seasoning to enjoy.
Whatever they are are feeding or however they are caretaking, the result doesn't taste anywhere near as good as my birds taste.
So...what I am doing right?

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They slow up as they age. They are probably all laying just not as often.

These hens are only 2 years old, I dont think being 2 years old would slow them down to where I'm only getting 4 eggs a day and 6 IF I'M LUCKY.

@ducks4you I have to agree that our meat birds do taste different than the store bought birds.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Dew, how exciting! You will have so much fun, along with all the work you are about to be doing. You will also be making memories that years later, will be fondly recalled. It takes a special Mom to jump in and do what you are doing. Hats off to Dew!

Thanks baymule!!! I'm just as excited for her as she is to be doing this. She tried out last year but didn't make it. When she found out she made it she called me and yelled "I made it"
I can not wait to see her on that football field this fall. Trust me I will be posting tons of proud momma pics :D

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hope one day that I will taste a fresh chicken. I've only known store bought. :( I'm too chicken to process mine, instead I give it away to someone who will. She's offered to bring me some but I just can't eat my own, silly me.

Mary

Latest posts