Chicken TV Patio

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Years ago my husband built some protective PVC and chicken wire covers for my planters. They work great as a Chicken Play yard. I won't have chicks until much later in the summer, due to a trip to CO to see my daughter in July. But I am getting things ready slowly but surely.

I came up with an idea for a Chicken TV Patio beside the Chicken Play yard.

You will have to use your imagination, and don't laugh!!! I moved some flagstones around from other parts of the yard.

1 17 2016 Finished email.JPG

Then... on a walk with Cherokee, I found an old wooden umbrella someone was throwing away... Yes, I am a "Trash Picker"! So... I decided I would use it for some afternoon shade for the new Chicken TV Patio. This is where I plan to put my Garden Bench http://www.theeasygarden.com/threads/garden-bench.18965/#post-256402 when it is finally finished

3 25 16 Umbrella 04 email.JPG

The the far left, I made a planter bed. Sunflowers, Morning Glories, and a Cape Honeysuckle. If the Cape Honeysuckle makes it, a friend dug it up out of her yard... and it is pretty much in shock at the moment. The plan is that the Honeysuckle and Morning Glories will grow on the umbrella to give me lots of shade when the temps are over 100 here. I anchored the umbrella in a huge coffee pot with concrete, then put the can in a 5 gal plastic pot then buried it in the ground, and planted Nasturtiums and Morning Glories in the pot.
3 25 16 Umbrella Stand 01 email.JPG

Wish me luck with this project!!!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Laugh? No way! That is a GREAT idea. We (of course) want photos when it covered.

Ray

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Looks really good think your really going to enjoy it once it's done

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That umbrella is going to look so amazing when it's covered with flowers! Great idea Rebbetzin. :) What do you have growing in the flagstones?

I'm a trash picker too, that's where I got the big window in the rear of my coop.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That umbrella is going to look so amazing when it's covered with flowers! Great idea Rebbetzin. :) What do you have growing in the flagstones?

I'm a trash picker too, that's where I got the big window in the rear of my coop.

I have Dichondra,

3 18 16 Dichondra 02 email.JPG
and a bit of a really nice ground cover I got from a neighbor. Don't know the name of it, it grows very close to the ground, and spreads nicely between the stones, once it gets going....
3 18 16 Ground cover 04 email.JPG

and this one takes full sun, unlike the dichondra, which really likes it better in the shade here during our long hot summer.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dichondra is a terrible weed here, I hate the stuff. :tongue I am so glad there is none of it growing on our new place. And in your yard it is a beautiful ground cover! :love Go figure. :lol:

Latest posts