Chickens, beware the apricots!

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
After a few hairy hours last night trying to decided if my banty hen was eggbound or an internal layer, I discovered the TRUE cause of her distress. Her face was covered in... apricot goo. Not only could she barely open her mouth, but her nostrils were partially blocked. :barnie After getting her face washed, she is fine.

Yesterday afternoon, I was cleaning up the squirrel and ant ravaged, not-ripe-enough-for-me windfalls and gave them to the girls. The big birds had no problems, but either Bitsy was a pig, or got a real gooey one. Either way, keep an eye on your birds if you give them sticky fruit!

And yes, it looks like the apricot harvest is going to be a good one!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
desertcat said:
After a few hairy hours last night trying to decided if my banty hen was eggbound or an internal layer, I discovered the TRUE cause of her distress. Her face was covered in... apricot goo. Not only could she barely open her mouth, but her nostrils were partially blocked. :barnie After getting her face washed, she is fine.

Yesterday afternoon, I was cleaning up the squirrel and ant ravaged, not-ripe-enough-for-me windfalls and gave them to the girls. The big birds had no problems, but either Bitsy was a pig, or got a real gooey one. Either way, keep an eye on your birds if you give them sticky fruit!

And yes, it looks like the apricot harvest is going to be a good one!
I'm sorry to hear that! I just dumped a huge pile of left over mashed blackberry to the chickens, and I only have banties... so I hope they are ok. I'm going to have to go check on them. The little ones always need a little extra help here and there. :/

Latest posts