Chickens don't bother pumpkins!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
My chicken fence and garden fence are one in the same. Thus, I have to be careful what gets planted in the row next to the chickens...I planted pumpkins, thinking they wouldn't make it to chicken area. Well, they are growing like crazy and have reached for and are climbing the fence. The chickens do not touch them!!! Next year, I will plant them closer- I think they could easily block the entire fence. Always nice to find one thing the chickens won't bother! I also tried pole beans- they ate every last one!!!

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My chickens love my zuccinni this year but left the yellow summer squash sitting right next to it alone...

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My chickens don't seem terribly interested in intact pumpkins, but cut one open and whoa nelly you'd better stand back :)

I got about a dozen last year for free, the day after halloween when they were no longer a saleable commodity around here :p, and they lasted til almost Christmas, feeding half a pumpkin at a time several times a week.

Pat

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh yes, definitely! I meant they don't bother the leaves and vines- they love pumpkins! The pumpkins, however, are on the other side of the fence, away from hungry chickens! I love giving the chickens pumpkins, they really enjoy them and I understand the seeds are a natural wormer...

Latest posts