Chiggers in the Winter?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
It seems like I have gotten chigger bites on my legs, mostly, after DH and I went to the creek last Saturday.
Small red bumps, like a chigger bite but smaller, and I seemed to get new ones for about 4 days, like I have known to happen with regular springtime chiggers. Itch like the devil, and painful, too.
Do you think a 60+ sunny day might hatch out a few chiggers? I was sitting on the gravel bar, looking at rocks. They usually don't appear till the first part of May.
Anything else you can think of? Not fleas. Not ticks. Not bedbugs, I don't think. (Only bites are under my clothes, mostly under my socks.)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
http://www.fleabites.net/sand-flea-bites-on-humans-pictures-treatment-and-prevention/
Do they look like these? I was thinking since you where not rolling downhill in the grass. (That is how I always go chigger bites as a kid.) But where on a sand bar, they could be sand fleas. This article looks helpful if they where.
Kinda, but I don't think my bites are that big. I was wondering if they might be sand fleas. That article said they could be living and breeding under my skin?! Yikes! I put tea tree oil on them this morning. Maybe that will kill them. I'm not ready to be hosting a blood sucking party just yet!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Who are these people who say "Don't scratch!"? That's just nuts! That's the only fun I have these days, is scratching my chigger bites.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm glad that I don't live in country with chiggers. I remember getting into something, in Florida. I know I had sand flea problems a long time ago as a little kid, south of SF Bay.

I'm sure they would bite me. Mosquito bites are terrible! I swell up like an idiot! Dang near die from bee stings . . .

If I had chigger bites, I'm sure I'd be using antihistamine or steroid creams - whatever is the best route there. If those don't give relief from itching, So Lucky, maybe something I came across not long ago will help. I don't even know if it is supposed to be something for itching. It is Voltaren and an old anti-inflammatory gel.

Probably wintergreen oil with its methyl salicylate works better for aches and pains - it does for me, anyway. And, wintergreen oil may be something that would help with chigger bites.

Voltaren is supposed to be for aches and paints but it doesn't help much. What I've found is that it works well rubbed on my forehead for headaches. I think nearly all of my headaches are sinus related. I cannot take oral anti-inflammatories. Tylenol helps but not a lot. Wintergreen oil is just "pleasant" as a headache treatment - distracting. The Voltaren has worked each and every time I've used it. Something like 50+ years as an anti-inflammatory but Aspercreme and such must be far more popular.

Steve

Latest posts