CHIVES...

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Am I the ONLY person who just can't seem to get chives to grow from seed?!
I can't tell you how many packets I've sowed, and I have yet to get a start.

What are your tips or tricks?

I just want some CHIVES in the garden!! :)

I'm to the point of wanting to just buy a plant, but do you think I can find any locally? Nooooooo!
Where is the "pulling hair out" smiley when I need it!? :p

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you know anyone who has a little patch?? They are kind of like mint. Once you have them, you don't mind sharing! I have two spots in my yard, and I never remember to use chives! Once a year, I force myself- but they are not a "life changing" herb, IMO....
Good luck in your search!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
"(N)ot a 'life changing' herb" - gasp!

Chives are the Cat's Pajamas, Lesa! Much better than walking onions - uh, oh! Now, that's just my opinion, folks!

My chives, started from seed many years ago, are in the darkest shade in my yard. Building/board fence shade, not dry tree shade . . . But, not much of anything else would do so well there. And, the chives do exceptionally!

So, a slight measure of warmth & light arrives and away go the chives! I might add that this slight measure of warmth & light also triggers the hens. So, here come the eggs!

They are a great combination - scrambled eggs with chives, with a little hot pepper. Okay, I'm a peasant-food kind of guy ;).

This year, if I could just have nice russet potatoes, large enuf for baking, and override DW's disinterest in sour cream, then I could make an effort to have fresh, tender chives in the Fall.

But, chives are much better in early Spring than walking onions . . . there, I said it again!

Steve

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hmmm.... maybe I've been trying to start them in too MUCH sun...
I have a packet left, and I think I'll try sowing them in the shade of a tree!
It's plenty HOT here already, but I think I'll give it a whirl!

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Roger that Steve. The chives are among the first things here to be harvested. Exellent in scramblede eggs especially with some of the bordeaux spinach that never really went dormant all winter! :drool

Seriously though, if you are having trouble starting chive from seed find somebody who can donate a samll clump or two. It's worth it!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well another vote for chives! Not only are they delicious but also look very pretty chopped and sprinkled on top of food.

Mine is planted in full sun and comes back every year. It was a plant and stays with me almost all year. Of course, it's probably due to our cool summer weather and mild winters.

Mary

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
scrambled eggs with chives, with a little hot pepper. Okay, I'm a peasant-food kind of guy
Mmmmm.

Growing up in Wisconsin, EVERYONE had a chive clump in the garden. When we got this house I bought a plant. The next year I divided it. Then I divided it again. I am up to 6 chive plants and it is still barely enough to keep up :D

I love it sprinkled on soups, in quiche, on scrambled eggs, in cream cheese dips, alfredo sauce, etc.....

Even if you do get your seeds I would buy a plant anyway. You will get a return on your investment.

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You're all making me green with chive envy!

I had a nice, big, healthy clump when I lived in Oregon, but have just not been able to get any started here in Central Hell...err, Texas. :/

But I'm a determined gal, so I'll keep tryin'...

:p

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This might be an idea for you, Daisy. And, given your recent weather, may have been your problem.

Give them plenty of water. My chives get run-off from the carport roof. Also, the neighbor runs a big sprinkler on his backyard garden thru the summer. Some of that water, hits the chives and that roof.

I never have to water that patch of ground at all. It is completely protected from drying wind and gets only early morning sun. Mary has them in full sun but that's the Bay Area.

So, I'm guessing that lots of soil moisture could be very important to the chives.

Steve