Chocolate mint

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
AFAIK it is one of the (majority of) mints that does not come true from seed.

Thus, you need to either buy a plant, or get a cutting or division from someone. It's a common enough plant that shouldnt be too hard.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
So what does chocolate mint taste like. really not what your imagination says it does.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
So what does chocolate mint taste like.
To me it tastes exactly, precisely, like a Peppermint Patty. Honest. (e.t.a. - and I know what you mean about imagination, most [although not all] of the other mint varieties you do have to hve the right attitude to see the relationship between the name and the taste... but this one really *is* like chocolate mint, truly! To my tastebuds anyhow)

Makes *great* mint brownies, just shred up a few springs and mix into the brownie batter before baking, better than plain mint.

Pat

houndit

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thank you for all the replies! I appreciate it.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
patandchickens said:
seedcorn said:
To me it tastes exactly, precisely, like a Peppermint Patty. Honest. (e.t.a. - and I know what you mean about imagination, most [although not all] of the other mint varieties you do have to hve the right attitude to see the relationship between the name and the taste... but this one really *is* like chocolate mint, truly! To my tastebuds anyhow)

Makes *great* mint brownies, just shred up a few springs and mix into the brownie batter before baking, better than plain mint.

Pat
AGREED--YUM! I'd make chocolate candy with it, if I knew how. Pat, do you have any chocolate mint recipes? :pop

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The only thing I've used it for is in brownies and cookies and that sort of thing.

Though, owing to a misreading of your post, I am now wondering what would happen if you minced it up real fine and used it in making mints (you know, candy mint wafers, made with powdered sugar and flavoring). Hm. I probably won't try it as I have not made mints for like 20 years now and don't honestly care for them that much, but if someone tries it, let me know what happened :p

Anyone else have good recipes for it? I'd be interested too!

Mainly I keep it for brownies, and because it is one of my favorite groundcovers to weed amongst :)

(e.t.a. - I bet it would make good choc-mint truffles, the kind where you use cream and dark chocolate to make a ganache and cool it and shape it into balls. I'd try mincing the chocolate mint up real fine and adding it to the not-yet-fully-cooled ganache. *That* might be worth trying!)

Pat

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
seedcorn said:

Pat
I agree... you taste and smell the chocolate...it's my favorite mint!
I like a leaf in my coffee.... will have to try it in brownies... yum!
I had mine contained in a sunken pot in the herb garden, neglected! ... it went round and round... I think it ate itself! I hope some escaped and I can find it in Spring... :fl

I have seen the plant offered at local garden centers in Spring around here.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have a stand of it. I just need to wait a few more weeks to see what survived the ducks :p

If anyone wants some roots, I can send some in Spring.

Latest posts