Chocolate mint

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I got some plants from a nursery a couple of years ago and I was fairly disappointed in them. When I looked at them before buying, they smelled like chocolate. I didn't taste them then, not knowing if they were clean or not, but when I got them home and planted, the chocolate smell wore off after a few weeks, and they didn't taste good at all, rather bitter and sort of made my tongue numb and tingly--not like chocolate or mint at all! Maybe I got a bad bunch of them.

They were beautiful though, nice color, grew fast, and even survived Colorado winters at 10,000 feet elevation with 7 feet of snow on them.

kimnkell

Leafing Out
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
I have a stand of it. I just need to wait a few more weeks to see what survived the ducks :p

If anyone wants some roots, I can send some in Spring.
I would love to have some roots in the spring. Maybe we can trade, not sure what all I have . I'll have to look and see come spring.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
I have a stand of it. I just need to wait a few more weeks to see what survived the ducks :p

If anyone wants some roots, I can send some in Spring.
Thanks for the offer! :)
Usually someone brings some to the local swap in May ... hopefully it won't be the first time it does not show up ... :/
If not I will gladly fight your ducks for some ... :D

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ariel301 said:
I got some plants from a nursery a couple of years ago and I was fairly disappointed in them. When I looked at them before buying, they smelled like chocolate. I didn't taste them then, not knowing if they were clean or not, but when I got them home and planted, the chocolate smell wore off after a few weeks, and they didn't taste good at all, rather bitter and sort of made my tongue numb and tingly--not like chocolate or mint at all! Maybe I got a bad bunch of them.

They were beautiful though, nice color, grew fast, and even survived Colorado winters at 10,000 feet elevation with 7 feet of snow on them.
It is a pretty plant ... if it didn't insist on wondering so much I would add it to my perennial beds!

Many 'leaf' herbs tend to lose flavor or get bitter late in the season or when they are blooming.
You can cut them back and continue to harvest the new leaves. :)

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Ahh, ok, good to know for next time. It did seem to require very aggressive trimming, it had a tendency to choke out the plants next to it. I may have to try it again!

Latest posts