1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. This member need landscaping ideas - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Chronicles of a Noob Garden and Gardener

Discussion in 'About Me & My Garden' started by Ben E Lou, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Jan 24, 2019
    digitS'

digitS' Garden Master

If the seed is from other sources, I don't know, but Johnny's Scarlet kale is in the cabbage family.

@Ridgerunner 's Red Russian is in the rutabaga family.

As a kale farmer, these are important distinctions that @Ben E Lou can really benefit from ...

:D digitS'

2. Jan 24, 2019
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

7795EB0A-890D-4FA8-9C26-59FA1D218323.jpeg Steve, I got the scarlet kale seeds from Baker Creek. It’s not a red pretty kale as I was hoping for.

Mary

ducks4you likes this.
  3. Jan 24, 2019
    Ben E Lou

Ben E Lou Garden Ornament

Quick update...will try to respond to individual comments later this evening...
    • 10 of the 12 broccoli seeds we planted the other day have germinated.
    • I grew tired of all the conflicting information about when I could put kale in the ground here, so I just put one of them in there yesterday. It’s going to be below freezing the next couple of nights. I’ll just see how it does. :)
    • Planted 72 Johnny jump up violas in peat pellets today.
    • The kale seedlings seem to be coming along nicely.
    • The girls planted a bunch of basil a couple of days ago in one big container.
    1BEE12A1-3DD0-4807-8A8C-456BDE6AF0F2.jpeg BAD44D87-2310-45AA-A8E6-D48F07836D95.jpeg

baymule likes this.
  4. Jan 24, 2019
    AMKuska

AMKuska Garden Addicted

Congrats! Doesn't it make you feel so excited to see things growing?

Ben E Lou likes this.
  5. Jan 25, 2019
    baymule

baymule Garden Master

No matter how many times I have had a garden, the sight of sprouting seedlings never gets old to me. Congrats on the great start on your garden!

henless, ducks4you, pjn and 1 other person like this.
  6. Jan 25, 2019
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

It's looking good Ben. Hopefully you'll be eating a lot of good stuff.

Mary

Ben E Lou likes this.
  7. Jan 25, 2019
    Ben E Lou

So...going wayyyyyyyyy back to the second post in this thread...

...last year I just stuck some seeds in the ground after the last frost, so I didn't realize how much another aspect of my life is a HUGE asset...

I WORK FROM HOME AND RARELY TRAVEL--For the last 9 years I've been a Consultant in the technology world, and a remote employee for the last 7 1/2 of those. I am able to do the vast majority of my work remotely. In 2018, I traveled a total of 15 days, and some of those 15 were days where I flew out in the late afternoon. Point being, I'm at home nearly every day, and that has made a huge difference this year with doing all of these seeds in the greenhouse. I monitor the temperature in the greenhouse with a remote thermometer that sits on my desk, mist the seedling trays at lunchtime, take them out of the greenhouse on sunny days, put them back in when it's about to rain, etc., without impacting my work at all. In fact, when I posted yesterday that I planted 72 Johnny Jump-Ups in peat pellets, what I didn't mention is that I did it while on a conference call. :D

baymule, flowerbug, pjn and 2 others like this.
  8. Jan 25, 2019
    seedcorn

seedcorn Garden Master

Very happy for you and your family. Sounds like a great situation.

ducks4you likes this.
  9. Jan 25, 2019
    Ben E Lou

@baymule Thanks for the heads-up on this. I've already got plenty of everything for this year, but I can see myself stocking up next year from there.

Yeah, my Daddy had a vegetable garden as well and I recall helping him plant when I was probably somewhere between the ages of my daughters (5 and 9.)

Thanks!

It really is. They ride the school bus home every day and get here at 2:45pm. I try to keep 2:45-3:00pm meeting-free so I can at least greet them, but on days where I have to work with a client during that time, it's not a huge deal because the older daughter is mature enough to be trusted to fix after-school snacks for her and little sister, make sure both get started on homework, etc. My office hours are 7:30am-4:00pm with a 30-minute lunch, so I'm fully available to them if needed from 4pm on just about every day. My wife and I have talked (well, joked...) about what it would take for me to even consider taking a job where I'd have to go to an office every day, and we're thinking it'd have to be something outrageous like a 40% or better pay increase before I'd even listen.

10. Jan 26, 2019
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

Your work schedule is perfect. The only thing that would improve it is if you had Friday’s off. ;)

Mary