Citing Where the Information was Found

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have just written and deleted a very convoluted account of the trouble I recently had doing a who-said-what search on the internet. It wasn't garden-related so I need not post that account here.

The fact that what was actually said was misquoted and even mis-attributed to a different author should be frustrating to a good number of people. I am afraid that "history" has been re-written because of someONE's careless misuse of information.

What a disservice!!

Please, when the words that you are using ARE NOT YOURS - show where you copied them!! Spreading and spreading and spreading mis-information is tragic.

Spreading a sliver of good information can be wonderful IF more good information can be gathered around it by someone who has an interest in doing some research.

It is easy-peasy to do an internet citation on TEG. Just click "Word-Link" above the text box and follow the simple direction. Or, copy and paste the URL of the webpage where the information was found in your post.

Thank you,

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
While I was writing - I see others have said elsewhere on TEG just about exactly what I said above . . .

Twenty minutes is a long time in cyberspace . . .

At least, I could get some of my frustration vented ;). You wouldn't believe what a balled-up mess I was in the other day trying to search in 2 different languages for something. It had been translated from French to English and then from the English "mis-translation" back into French. At that point, the English bogus translation was apparently considered as authentic and spread aaaalllll around the world, via our wonderful internet.

Deep breath . . . .

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok at first I wasn't sure what you were speaking of, but now I see it. Its one thing to simply fumble up a short quote or give information you are trying to remember from mind, for which you don't remember where you got it.

Its entirely another matter to simple copy and paste word for word from a known site and not link the information.

I had it DRILLED into me to site any information I used written by someone else, no matter how much I quoted, in college! And it really irks me to see someone purposely do it OVER AND OVER! I understand your frustrations....

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Going forward, if there are more obvious 'copy and pastes' without proper attribution, please hit the Report button and one of us will handle it :)

Latest posts