clay soil probelm

ninny

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We just moved and found out we have clay for soil. So raised beds it is. Im wondering though if these tubs i have lying around would work instead of having to spend a ton on building supplies this year. They are plastic and almost two feet deep and a foot wide at the smallest point. Beans would work im guessing. What about melons? I was thinking of putting the cukes, melons, pumpkins etc..in them against a dog kennel panel to grow up. How could i find out how many plants to a tub?

Next question I really want strawberries. So these guys will be getting a real raised bed. How much space per plant?

My thought is to buy new dirt each year and use the old dirt to fill the new raised bed.

Does this sound like a good idea?

What grows well in clay soil?

Thanks!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I got clay soil, with some amendment it is fine. Only real issue with clay is drainage.

I grow my strawberries in a raised bed only 3" tall, I amended the clay with some compost and chicken manure in the winter right before the spring planting. They are doing GREAT. They send off so many runners I have to dip up and move some now and then. When I first planted I did them 8" apart, and made sure not to cover the crowns when planting.

As for your raised beds, I have some that are higher then others... but those are for root veggies that don't do well fighting the clay.

Just till in some leaves, chicken manure and some saw dust. I of course add compost and crushed eggs shell... Used coffee grounds are good too.

Today, I have a well composted horse manure going around the fruit trees... and the trees & grapes do JUST FIND with no amendments to the clay at all!!!

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
6476_007.jpg

I'm doing raised beds out of these this year. They are freebie used feed tubs that my rancher BIL is happy to get out of his barn.

I've been cutting them in half and reassembling as the edging for the new beds. Had grand schemes on how to hold them together, but filling with dirt is doing the job quite nicley. There is some spillage between the halves, but it's pretty minimal. If I can remember to get batteries today, I'll get pics of the beds up.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Plants that are annuals are gernerally lazy and have shallow root systems. However some just like more space.

Raised beds can be expensive to build. I like them because they are easier to weed. However,...
....I would vote for using your tubs this year and orienting yourself to your new space. I have made the mistake after moving of rushing in and not really giving myself time to think and descover what should really be done. Then I have to redo it.
Ideas:
+Use what you have and save money for what youn need to do next year.
+If you have the cash work on ammending the soil this summer. It could be a weekly project to turn in amendments and promote worm activity.
+I would turn in mint straw if you have access and funds. Horse manure is good to if you can get it (often free from a neighbor). The initial digging will be a pain, but it might be worth it if you are there long term. Of course raised beds are a right now thing!

Good luck. I was successful amending my clay soil in Kentucky over a 2 year period with heavy amendments.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have red clay here too. Clay is preferable to overly sandy soil because it does contain lots of necessary minerals and will not dry out so easily (which in excess is also a fault). It is easy enough to remedy heavy clay soil with lots of organic matter. Don't start adding any sand at first until you get the humus content up using lots of leaves, grass clippings, compost, manure, etc because clay + sand = brick! :p Wood ashes (spread out, don't over do it) are also great for breaking up heavy clay soil.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We've got clay soil here, too. I've just amended it over the years w/manure, and it's fine. Even the first year, we plowed it up after covering with manure, and had good results on what we grew. Root veggies will do better in raised beds, but I've never had a problem growing others kinds in the clay.

kinjinnm

Sprout
Reaction score
journey11 said:
We have red clay here too. Clay is preferable to overly sandy soil because it does contain lots of necessary minerals and will not dry out so easily (which in excess is also a fault). It is easy enough to remedy heavy clay soil with lots of organic matter. Don't start adding any sand at first until you get the humus content up using lots of leaves, grass clippings, compost, manure, etc because clay + sand = brick! :p Wood ashes (spread out, don't over do it) are also great for breaking up heavy clay soil.
We have black clay, amending clay soil does work quite rapidly but be careful adding wood ash as they are very alkaline.

Another trick is to plant amended clay soil with rye grass or other deep rooted green manure. The roots will help break up the clay soil. Cut, let dry and till in.
Good luck