Cleaning Old Canning Jars

schmije

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have a bunch of old canning jars that have been in my barn for several years. Many of them have a brown or white film inside, and I'm having a difficult time getting it off. I've run them through the dishwasher, I've scrubbed them, and it's still there. What is it, and how do I remove it?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I suggest Comet... Comet cleans EVERYTHING!!!!! :lol:

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sounds like deposits from hard water. I'd wash in some bleach water and use them.

THANX RICH

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
you have hard water deposits.

Please do not use poisons like CLR or Comet if you intend to eat out of these jars in the future.

Use vinegar, soak it a bit and rinse in hot water.

It may take a few applications, but it will work, and no toxins.

schmije

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I thought I had heard vinegar, so I soaked one of them today. It didn't seem to make a difference. I guess I can fill up my sink with some vinegar water and soak them for a while. That'll make the kitchen smell nice. :lol:

Maybe I'll try some bleach first.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow

Try a combination of vinegar & bicarbonate of soda. That removes most deposits of that sort. If you have several containers I would fill the first up to the top line of the deposit with cheap strong vinegar then stir in a spoonful of bicarb. : it will fizz up a lot . Let it stand for an hour or two. It needs time to work. Then scrub the deposit off. You can then use the same vinegar with a little more bicarb. for the next jar.

This mixture will also clean dirty toilet bowls as well......! :D

Good luck! :)

Hattie

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
WalMart carries a product for the dishwasher to get rid of the calcium film, called "Lemi-Shine." IF the above doesn't work, I guarantee this will. I should be the poster child for CLR, because we have all of that in our water!! :lol:
When I wash my dishes with this stuff, they come out crystal clear. When I don't, they look cloudy.

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have old canning jars that are a different issue. They are in grandma's basement and have 20year old food in them.... do I dare risk inhaling some toxin to open them and toss the sludge? there are about 100 old blue Ball jars down there.

schmije

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
WalMart carries a product for the dishwasher to get rid of the calcium film, called "Lemi-Shine." IF the above doesn't work, I guarantee this will. I should be the poster child for CLR, because we have all of that in our water!! :lol:
When I wash my dishes with this stuff, they come out crystal clear. When I don't, they look cloudy.
Thanks for the info. I am also in Illinois, and we recently started having a cloudy film on many of our dishes after running through the dishwasher. It didn't happen until we had our dishwasher fixed because of a recall. I don't know what they did to it, but it hasn't cleaned our dishes well ever since. We have city water, but we run what we drink through a filter, because we get little white 'sinkies' in our glass if we use it straight from the tap.

Latest posts