Clematis question

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
This summer I bought a Snow Queen clematis. My first one :D I was told that it probably wouldn't do much the first summer - so I was THRILLED when it not only grew like crazy but had dozens of blooms.
A friend gave me a pot of 'hummingbird vine' that I sat next to it to share the trellis and they grew together very nicely for a few months. Now though, the hummingbird vine is completely covering the trellis. When I poke around, I can find the Snow Queen - and her leaves look healthy, she's still blooming.. but I'm concerned that she might be shaded/crowded out. I had NO IDEA just how fast & thick the humming bird vine would grow.
Can a clematis be crowded to death??? I was planning to plant the vine this spring - but now I'm not so sure.
I know they are often planted with other things, so I thought the fullness of the HB vine and it's tiny little red flowers would compliment the big white flowers of the clematis. They look REALLY pretty together. But given a choice, I'll keep the clematis and rip out the HB vine if it necessary.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's great that it took off like that it's first year! I usually figure two years for mine to really do much.

Hummingbird vine is a common name used for different plants, is yours by chance a Trumpet vine (Campsis radicans)?

If it's a Trumpet vine and not the annual Cypress vine, I would definitely separate them. The T vine is super vigorous and can even be invasive in the right conditions. It will overwhelm your clemmie.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hummingbird vine? trumpet vine or honeysuckle, which one or is it something else. I have C.Blue Bird growing close to a late flowering honeysuckle but not with. I also have some of my clemies planted with roses and even have one growing with a wisteria.
Annette

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
The 1st year they sleep, the 2nd year they creep, the 3 rd year they leap. Good for you cane yours is doing so well. I bought one back from London only one that did not die on me. English gardens had them planted with large rose bushes.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not my picture - but this is what I've got

hummingbird vine.jpg

"lacy" sort of leaves - teeney, tiny little red flowers.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
AWESOME! They ARE really pretty together. They are climbing one side of the yard gate - the other side has a passion flower (and might have some hummingbird vine too next year).

Latest posts