Clementines

adoptedbyachicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
In Jan I got some sweet Clementines and really enjoyed them. I put seeds from one in the soil next to a potted plant I have in the kitchen just to see what would happen. Well I now have 2 baby Clementine trees. What to do? I'm certainly not in a citrus belt so has anyone tried these as a house plant? Anyone know how big they get how fast? Or are they a grafted or cross pollenated thing that will likely not grow up to be what you think they are anyway?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you are in BC and lack a greenhouse or conservatory then it probably does not matter too awfully much whethre they come true to variety from seed in terms of fruit quality, or how big they will eventually get ;)

I have started clementines and kumquats from seed, back in grad school, gave them away when they got about 10" tall. Spider mites were a real problem. Theyre attractive looking plants though, nice glossy dark green leaves. They will need BRIGHT conditions (like full sun in a bright multiwindowed room), not too dry air, and IIRC should not be allowed to dry out too badly between waterings nor get waterlogged.

Have fun,

Pat

adoptedbyachicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We have a huge south and southwest facing great room that calls for big plants. Greenhouse is in the plans but really it would not do I don't think. Spider Mites seem to always be an issue with the fun house plants!

So far in that great room the plants that love sun are doing well.

So far as I can tell from the net they are grafted so this might not work anyway. But then the reason they are grafted it seems is some orchard virus that spreads so without another clementine nearby it might be just fine.

No idea if the parent stock was bush or tree type and standard or dwarf so this will be an adventure. They could grow up wanting to be 4' x 4' or 15' x 15'

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had one of those before... it grew really sadly and never got that big but did flower... then the parakeets thought it would be a great roost and tore it apart some how....

adoptedbyachicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well no parakeets here so that risk is low. LOL

Interesting, so it got as far as flowering! This is good. They are growing like bad weeds right now, really nice. I'll have to post some pictures as they get repotted. Think I'll leave them there till they are 3 or 4 inches anyway.

Latest posts