Clover in the garden

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have red and white clover growing in some of my veggie beds. Since clover is a N-fixer, I've been leaving it alone. Is there any reason why I should yank it?
:watering

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wouldn't be worried too much about it. It is usually easily managed in the garden (not so much for those who don't like it in their yard). A good tilling will usually get rid of most of it if it ever gets out of control.

Remember though it can help with nitrogen it can also compete with your other plants for other nutrients, so be mindful.

Good luck!

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have it too. I let it get a little large and then pick it and feed it to the chickens. They like it almost as much as they do tomatoes.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I find that clover has a pretty deep root structure, and are not the easiest to pull, once they get larger, without upsetting the roots of seedlings.

If you let them grow, I would suggest mowing them from time to time so they don't go to seed, otherwise next summer you may have quite a crop.:rolleyes:

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I encourage the white clover in my lawn and in my non-lawn out back, it's great fodder for the bees. I agree, however, that it can develop quite a root system, so don't allow it to thrive where you don't want it.

Latest posts