Coffee grinds - how do you apply them?

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
bigbad said:
barefootgardener said:
I pour leftover cooled coffee around the ground of my blueberry bushes and tomatoes and strawberries..I freeze leftover coffee in the winter time..then thaw to use when the weather warms..

As for coffee grounds,and tea, I use it along with crushed eggshells and sprinkle it at the base of my plants (Rose bushes too) and put some in the hole when transplanting tomatoes etc. in the garden. It also goes into the compost heap in winter..
Can't the egg shells develop salmonella? And if so, can it poison the plants? Especially with salmonella/peanut butter crisis a while back...
I raise my own free range chickens ..they are very healthy..Never had a case of illness from the eggs. No salmonella. As for store bought eggs and shells? If you eat the eggs and dont get ill..I would not worry about salmonella from eggshells.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Salmonella is not within the plants themselves but on the surface. Most of the salmonella veggie recals come from farms where the irrigation water is contaminated with sewage. It's seldom, if ever, a problem in the home garden.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I throw 1/2 in the compost, and the rest I spread directly around my blueberries and azaleas. :)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
There's really no wrong way with coffee grounds. It depends on the amount you have available. If it's a large amount you can use it as mulch around the plants. I only have what coffee grounds I make myself so I just add it to the compost.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
There's really no wrong way with coffee grounds. It depends on the amount you have available. If it's a large amount you can use it as mulch around the plants. I only have what coffee grounds I make myself so I just add it to the compost.
If you ever feel up to it... go to starbucks and just ask for a bag of their used coffee grounds. They give them to me and my neighbor when ever we ask without a question. I assume they know we're using them in the garden. :lol:

btpeters

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I pour my left over coffee on house plants...they have done much better since I started doing this (it helps me remember to water them too!)

I save up my grounds in a can under the sink and then take them out to the garden and sprinkle around wherever I want more acidic soil...like blueberries, raspberries, potatoes, etc...

Latest posts