Coffee

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Phaedra Geiermann we may be talking different teas, but I thought Oriental Beauty was classified as a "pu-er" tea, a tea that had been cave aged. I have never liked pu-ers (to me, they taste moldy) but that is me.
Yes, they are different.

I never like Pu'er tea, no matter its taste, price, or access to a reliable source. Many people claim that Pu'er tea has mysterious advantages; however, just like the idiom says: It's not my cup of tea.

Oriental Beauty Oolong tea (or white-tip oolong) is a variety that needs a specific pest called the tea jassid. This pest will trigger the tea plants to release defensive chemical compounds, which results in its unique flavor. Here is a further explanation from Wiki.

Tie Guanyin is also one of my favorites. I have few friends whose families still run small-scaled tea farms, and buying directly from farmers can always make me happy.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i don't think it was as strong as it could have been, but it was such an odd taste i'll not forget it and the last time i had it was longer than 30yrs ago.

that would do very bad things to me. i've lost whatever tolerance i had for caffiene as about all i get now is from chocolate and the once in a while bit of very weak coffee or some coke. complete wimp now. but i sleep so much better.

reminds me of a friend from work from many years ago who drank coffee before he went to bed because he felt it helped him get up in the morning. i just shook my head. he was pretty hyper. a good boss. :)
Oh, it has mate in it. THAT would explain it. Mate has a LOT more caffeine in it that either tea or coffee. It would also explain the flavor, mate is not to everyone's taste, and can actually make you throw up if the mix is strong enough (hence why the species name is Ilex vomitoria).
Yes, they are different.

I never like Pu'er tea, no matter its taste, price, or access to a reliable source. Many people claim that Pu'er tea has mysterious advantages; however, just like the idiom says: It's not my cup of tea.

Oriental Beauty Oolong tea (or white-tip oolong) is a variety that needs a specific pest called the tea jassid. This pest will trigger the tea plants to release defensive chemical compounds, which results in its unique flavor. Here is a further explanation from Wiki.

Tie Guanyin is also one of my favorites. I have few friends whose families still run small-scaled tea farms, and buying directly from farmers can always make me happy.
Ah I see, I got confused because Ten Ren (one of the big Sino-American tea companies in this country) markets it's Pu-er tea under the name "Oriental Beauty".

My "general favorite" (as in something I tend to like at all times, rather than a particular vintage, like I do with the 1000 year old blacks) is a subtype of Tie Guyanin called Tie Lo Han (Iron Arhat). It's one of the big three tops (along with the more famous Da Hong Pao and I think Comb of the White Rooster)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Coffee is ready. I'm out of cream so I used milk. I've gotten used to the cream, milk is blah now.
I normally use half and half but have runned out. So I've been using heavy cream. Can't tell the difference. But that could be cause I also have some collagen powder in there.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mate has a LOT more caffeine in it that either tea or coffee.
"(N)early caffeine immune" might describe my reactions cerebrally to caffeine. (Is cerebrally a word? I don't know :D.)

Maté gave me a funny feeling that I wasn't all that happy about. Probably also, it's not what my stomach appreciates.

I found a nice dandelion root hiding with the potatoes, last week. Imma gonna look for more of those today in the squash patch. Find enuf, I'll toast them for "coffee."

Steve

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
"(N)early caffeine immune" might describe my reactions cerebrally to caffeine. (Is cerebrally a word? I don't know :D.)

Maté gave me a funny feeling that I wasn't all that happy about. Probably also, it's not what my stomach appreciates.

I found a nice dandelion root hiding with the potatoes, last week. Imma gonna look for more of those today in the squash patch. Find enuf, I'll toast them for "coffee."

Steve
I've never tried that but I'll give it a whirl :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Coffee is ready. I'm out of cream so I used milk. I've gotten used to the cream, milk is blah now.
DH still drinks G A L L O N S of Skim Milk. BLECHHHH!!!
Whenever I am in a morning cereal mood, I steal his coffee 1/2 & 1/2. I try to be frugal, but the cats get the leftovers.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I’ve almost always put skim milk in my coffee because it’s all we kept in the house when I was a kid. Occasionally I’ll put in half and half though. I can’t drink whole milk or 2% though as it doesn’t agree with me.( I suspect I’m mildly lactose intolerant but am ignoring it for now:hide)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I finally went to the store yesterday and got cream. Also a gallon of milk, coffee filters, a few other things. $53 dollars stuff I didn't even need a cart to take to the truck! Prices are high and getting higher. I feel the need to stock up, but also the need to not stock up. With moving, I don't know what my storage will be, how things will fit, etc. meh.

Latest posts