Cold Frame - what temp. can stuff go out?

jhook1997

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My first cold frame is done. 1/2 is planted with lettuce, kale, chard, radishes, beets, etc. etc. The other side is designed to bring out trays of seedlings to "harden". It is about 44 degrees outside today but inside the box is 55. Cloudy and overcast. I really need ot get them hardened b/c they need to go in the garden next week. Question is at what temperature can I start taking broc. cauli, brussel sprouts and cabbage outside in the box???:idunno

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, those are all cool crops so they should be able to go out in those temps. What is your zone? Do you know how long until you can plant into the garden?

jhook1997

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
HunkieDorie23 said:
Well, those are all cool crops so they should be able to go out in those temps. What is your zone? Do you know how long until you can plant into the garden?
I'm in zone 7. Last year I put broc, cauli and cabbage in at the end of Feb.. that was great for the cabbage but the broccoli was too late. Almost all of it bolted! I'm shooting for the end of this week or beginning of next week for the broc. at least. With the mild weather this year, I'm thinking some of the others can go out too.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Are you using row covers? I'm fairly new to the "cool weather crops" and don't really know what to do.. :/

Do I just go out there and plunk 'em in the ground?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't plunk anything in the ground, unless you are sure the plants are properly hardened off. If they are, just be ready to cover if unexpected cold weather blows through...

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm going to take a guess here: 55 degrees in your cold frame sounds warm enough to me to START to harden off those types of plants. I think what i would do over the next week is put your trays in the cold frame for a prograssively longer period of time. I'd start with 1 hour at the warmest part of the day, the next day maybe 3 hours, and so on. Then the night before you plan to plant them in the garden, leave them out all night...as long as its not going to freeze.

I'm blown away talking about putting stuff in the garden, i havent even started PONDERING starting seedlings yet up here in Montana! Best of luck!

jhook1997

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
NwMtGardener said:
I'm going to take a guess here: 55 degrees in your cold frame sounds warm enough to me to START to harden off those types of plants. I think what i would do over the next week is put your trays in the cold frame for a prograssively longer period of time. I'd start with 1 hour at the warmest part of the day, the next day maybe 3 hours, and so on. Then the night before you plan to plant them in the garden, leave them out all night...as long as its not going to freeze.

I'm blown away talking about putting stuff in the garden, i havent even started PONDERING starting seedlings yet up here in Montana! Best of luck!
Thanks....that sounds like a good plan. It was about 60 in the box today so the broc, cauli & brussel stayed out pretty much all day. Gonna increase it like you say and thinking about making some type of cover for the 4'x4' bed they are going in. Just in case of drastically bad weather. Do you think a week is enough for hardening?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
jhook1997 said:
HunkieDorie23 said:
I'm in zone 7. Last year I put broc, cauli and cabbage in at the end of Feb.. that was great for the cabbage but the broccoli was too late. Almost all of it bolted! I'm shooting for the end of this week or beginning of next week for the broc. at least. With the mild weather this year, I'm thinking some of the others can go out too.
I am technically zone 6 but only buy shrubs and perennials for zone 5 or lower. I am surprised that your broccoli bolted, I would have thought zone 7 would not be that different from mine. I always plant several varieties of any plant so perhaps it was just the variety of broccoli .I get fantastic broccoli, cabbage, kale but am hit or miss with cauliflower. I have had bumper cauliflower years but they are few. I have not been able to grow the new Veronica broccoli variety with the odd but pretty shape. You would think they would be the same, I think I have not found the right cultivar yet.

You can use your cold frame, but watch the night time temps. If it is 40 degrees during the day the plants can be outside without a coldframe. Cover with a blanket at night or bring them back inside.

I put my seedlings outside during the day and bring them in at night once the temps are in the 40's.

jhook1997

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
jhook1997 said:
HunkieDorie23 said:
I am technically zone 6 but only buy shrubs and perennials for zone 5 or lower. I am surprised that your broccoli bolted, I would have thought zone 7 would not be that different from mine. I always plant several varieties of any plant so perhaps it was just the variety of broccoli .I get fantastic broccoli, cabbage, kale but am hit or miss with cauliflower. I have had bumper cauliflower years but they are few. I have not been able to grow the new Veronica broccoli variety with the odd but pretty shape. You would think they would be the same, I think I have not found the right cultivar yet.

You can use your cold frame, but watch the night time temps. If it is 40 degrees during the day the plants can be outside without a coldframe. Cover with a blanket at night or bring them back inside.

I put my seedlings outside during the day and bring them in at night once the temps are in the 40's.
Thanks!:)I was wondering about when to put them out and not in the frame. I actually have so many started that they can't all fit in the cold frame anymore. tomorrow some will go outside on the table (depending on the wind) we live on top of a hill and so have wind/breeze pretty much all the time. Hopefully you are right about the broc. variety. I have 3 different kinds this time.