Cold-Weather Flowers (including Edible Flowers!)

vja4Him

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I would like to try adding more Flowers, including some Edible Flowers, to my garden for the Fall, Winter and Spring .....

So far the only Flowers I have for my garden during the cold weather are Pansies and Calendulas. What other Flowers would be a good choice for the cold weather .....

I'm in the northern tip of Zone #8, about two or three miles from the southern tip of Zone #14. Both very good Zones for growing year-around.

-- Jim

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Nasturtiums...peppery and sharp. Radish seed pods when tender and young, before they get stringy - my kids like these better than the radishes themselves. Colorful kales, cabbages and mustards - leaf color can be quite ornamental.

Redbud - Cercis canadensis - is also an early spring edible flower; nice ornamental small tree.

vja4Him

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
StupidBird said:
Nasturtiums...peppery and sharp. Radish seed pods when tender and young, before they get stringy - my kids like these better than the radishes themselves. Colorful kales, cabbages and mustards - leaf color can be quite ornamental.

Redbud - Cercis canadensis - is also an early spring edible flower; nice ornamental small tree.
Thanks! I have some Nasturtiums already growing. The snails almost destroyed them, but I put out snail bait just in time. I've seen Nasturtiums around our neighborhood, but they don't make it through the winter around here.

I have lots of Radishes (both long white and varieties of red). I've been eating the buds and flowers. The birds love the Radish pods! I've had some Radish bushes that have reached five to six feet in height! The wind destroyed several of them before I could tie them down securely.

I don't have space for trees or large shrubs, so I have to stick with very small bushes, or plants.

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Lilac flowers are edible. My favourite edible garden plant is Orpine (Hylotelephium spectabile; sometimes still called Sedum spectabile). The leaves taste just like grass when they're open, (except without the tiny prickers that make your tongue feel weird), and in the spring the sprouts taste sharp and cabbagy.

vja4Him

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Detlor Poultry said:
Lilac flowers are edible. My favourite edible garden plant is Orpine (Hylotelephium spectabile; sometimes still called Sedum spectabile). The leaves taste just like grass when they're open, (except without the tiny prickers that make your tongue feel weird), and in the spring the sprouts taste sharp and cabbagy.
Thanks! I'll add Lilac to my list. Do you start Lilacs from bulbs?

vja4Him

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
StupidBird said:

Thanks for the tip about the Radish Pods! I've been eating some recently. The birds also love them and devour the seeds and pods and flowers quickly!