Cold Weather- HELP!

SoccerMomof7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Here in SC Kansas its been getting down to about 37 at night, it that too cold to plant my garden? It's completely ready to plant and I have started plants inside that are ready to go out but I just don't know what to do. It's suppost to be 40 at night the next 2 nights is it safe to plant now or should I wait another week?

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well, cool season plants like lettuces, kale, chard & broccoli will be fine as long as they are hardened off, but those temps are way to cold for hot season plants like tomatoes & peppers. Even a light frost can kill a tomato seedling.

My tomatoes and peppers won't be transplanted until after May 17th, and summer squash, melons & watermelon not till early June.

~Phyllis

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Are your started plants hardened off yet? If not, then absolutely DO NOT even think of putting them outside right now. You could start gently hardening them off now but be extra careful b/c of the cold snap -- and if you're at work during the day, it might be wiser to just wait til the weather warms back up. A coupla days or a week won't make any difference come July or August -- whereas, freezing your plants to death or into a stunted state will make quite a *large* difference ;)

If they *are* hardened off already, it might be reasonable to put in cool-weather crops as SewingDiva says, but I'd still give them a bit of extra protection the first few nights, especially if the garden is in an exposed location.

OTOH if you are thinking of direct seeding anythign into the garden, as long as the soil is warm enough there is no reason to delay just because of cold weather.

Good luck,

Pat

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
SoccerMomof7 said:
Here in SC Kansas its been getting down to about 37 at night, it that too cold to plant my garden? It's completely ready to plant and I have started plants inside that are ready to go out but I just don't know what to do. It's suppost to be 40 at night the next 2 nights is it safe to plant now or should I wait another week?
I would wait for warmer weather, depending on the seedlings that you have. Peas, chard, spinach, lettuce, and radish's should be all right sown directly now. If you are anxious to get the seedlings in the garden, build some A frame greenhouses out of 2"X2" wood and some clear plastic, to put over them until it warms up a bit more..:)

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd say it's too cold unless you have hardened off letuice or cool season crops. I don't put tomoatoes out or plant corn till mid to late may.