Cold-Weather Herbs ...

vja4Him

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
What are some cold-weather Herbs I could plant in Zone #8/14 for the Fall, Winter and Spring?

So far, the only Herbs I have for my garden during the cold weather are Rosemary, Mint and Sage.

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Chives - garlic and regular - only die back to dormancy after hard freezes.
Cilantro/Coriander
Parsley!!!!
Fenugreek...I have no idea what to use it for, but I didn't kill it when I tried to grow this one.

Good winter greens, since you seem to be searching for winter garden ideas:
mustards, turnips, collards, kales, cabbage family...like kohlrabi, swiss chard, chickweed (pick before it goes to seed for best)
carrots, beets, spinach, garlic, onion, leeks, fava beans (cold weather type, although I've not yet tried them), peas (short bushy types can be more easily covered during hard freezes).

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just curious.....What area are you in that you could be in zone 8 and almost 14? I didn't even know there was a 14!

vja4Him

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Just curious.....What area are you in that you could be in zone 8 and almost 14? I didn't even know there was a 14!
I live in the northernmost tip of Zone #8, which is only about two or three miles from the southernmost tip of Zone #14 (Ceres/Modesto), about halfway between Modesto and Turlock.

I recorded a low temperature of 18 degrees F. (- 8 degrees C.) this winter! Coldest I've seen yet in 25 years. I was sure that I would lose many, perhaps most, of my garden plants.

Big surprise ... !!! Most of my garden plants survived, including many seeds that were not yet sprouting, and even some sprouts! I lost the beautiful Potato plants, and almost lost the African Daisies. Geraniums died, but they have come back now. Even my Lemon Grass (two large clumps) made it!

Verbena, Ice Plant, Roses, Kohlrabi, Chinese Cabbage, Lettuce, Calendulas, Beets, Swiss Chard, Carrots, and a few more plants all survived!!!

I've actually seen (and have pictures up on Photo Bucket) some of my garden plants completely encased in solid ice!!! They did just fine.

vja4Him

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
StupidBird said:
Chives - garlic and regular - only die back to dormancy after hard freezes.
Cilantro/Coriander
Parsley!!!!
Fenugreek...I have no idea what to use it for, but I didn't kill it when I tried to grow this one.

Good winter greens, since you seem to be searching for winter garden ideas:
mustards, turnips, collards, kales, cabbage family...like kohlrabi, swiss chard, chickweed (pick before it goes to seed for best)
carrots, beets, spinach, garlic, onion, leeks, fava beans (cold weather type, although I've not yet tried them), peas (short bushy types can be more easily covered during hard freezes).
I've been growing these plants for several years now during the Winter and Fall: Southern Curled Mustard (my favorite!), Red Giant Mustard, Beets, Swiss Chard, Onions, Garlic, Fava Beans (didn't do well though), Peas, Carrots, Kale, Kohlrabi, Turnips, Radishes.

Some of those plants are still surviving this terrible heat (Mustards, Swiss Chard, Onions, Garlic, Carrots, Kale, Kohlrabi, Turnips, Radishes). Fava Beans are not doing well. I think I planted them too late this year. And the gophers stole several patches of the Fava Beans.

Cilantro is doing just fine. It comes up as volunteers all over the garden now, just like the Carrots, Onions, Radishes, Chinese Cabbage, and hopefully many more plants will .....

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
my parsley comes up all over, so unless I have a real disaster, I'll always have parsley. The cilantro is starting to do the same. My weeding plan has become very selective - I know definite weeds to pull immediately, but I now wait until 2 pairs true leaves are up to identify, as basil, tomato, chives, parsley, cilantro, and who knows what else is volunteering out there.

vja4Him

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
StupidBird said:
my parsley comes up all over, so unless I have a real disaster, I'll always have parsley. The cilantro is starting to do the same. My weeding plan has become very selective - I know definite weeds to pull immediately, but I now wait until 2 pairs true leaves are up to identify, as basil, tomato, chives, parsley, cilantro, and who knows what else is volunteering out there.
I've learned the hard way myself .... I've been pulling up what I thought were weeds, only to find out that I was pulling up the seedlings from seeds I planted!

I nearly pulled up all of the African Daisies I planted from seed. Pulled up lots of Bachelor's Buttons, Baby Snapdragons, Shasta Daisies, and more .....

I pull the weeds that I know for sure, but wait awhile for a second or third set of leaves .....

I almost pulled up my Eggplant which I planted from seed (I plant everything from seed). It looked so similar to one of the grass weeds, and right in line with the Eggplant seedlings! Good thing I waited, because I now have 19 Eggplants (out of 36 seeds I planted).

vja4Him

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
so lucky, Ceres/Modesto are in the central part of California.

Mary
Good place to garden year around, but I don't like the intense heat from May through October. I really enjoy gardening during the cooler months so much more ....

Latest posts