Coldframe, UPDATE plants now in the coldframe.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
This year we are having a hard time hardening the plants off, it is usually to cold or to windy or both. This cold frame will help with that, it will shelter them a couple hours a day while they are out.
Thistle, do you remember a couple weeks ago we had a sunny day also. We put the plants out to harden a litle and a few of them got scorched. Plus we gave some to one of my brothers on Easter. We will give some more away on Mothers Day also, good thing I have extra!
Steve I am afraid of this hardening process, We planted A lot of extra plants just in case. Hope we have enough LOL!

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Steve is correct to warn you of the hardening process. I'm afraid that I cooked about 100 tomato plants a week or so ago. They were doing just fine in our mud room under lights. We had a nice day and I placed every one of the wooden boxes I use for seed starting out in the back of the house in the shade. I got distracted and totally forgot about the seedlings. The sun moved into the shade and now all of my precious heirloom tomatoes are stunned. They were only in direct sunlight for about 15 minutes. They're not dead but they're not growing at all. I have them in intensive care right now but there is not much hope. About 40 of the seedlings are from the very last seeds I had in a rare heirloom "A German Tomato" strain that has been handed down for many generations. These were my favorites. The other 60 plants are "Mortgage Lifters" that I have had for about 16 years. Bummer.

bootstrap

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
looks like you got it done but the best way to cut that stuff is with an circular saw, use a plywood blade (fine tooth) turned the wrong way. the blade with the teeth facing up will pull the material towards the saw to prevent in from shaking the fine teeth will not make it crack etc.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
are you going to add some thermal mass? It will help keep the night time temps up and the day time temps down. I use carboys and 2 liter bottles filled with water.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I never used thermal mass, in my coldframes. This time of year, it shouldn't be necessary. If it is going to be well below freezing, you will have to carry in the plants. Right at the freezing mark- keeping the window closed and covering with a rug, or thick blanket will do the trick. I would toss a thermometer in there, so you can have an idea of what is going on.
Next year- I recommend you start your plants in the frame- this way no hardening off worries. Won't work for tomatoes or peppers- but good for most other things. Since you have planted so many starts- you will have plenty for experimentation! Keep us posted!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nice work! I like that the sides and bottom are clear too. Are you going to paint the back black?

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
here is a pic of our plants in the coldframe

7254_img_1323.jpg

It is really helping with the hardening off process, we have been putting them in during the day and taking them indoors a night.
bootstrap, All I had was a regular ripping /crosscutting blade for the saw it worked great as long as I did not force it, plus the masking tape helped alot.

WifeZ, I havnt used any thrmal mass yet but next week the nitetime temps are going to be in the forties and we are going to start leaving them in all night. We were thinking of putting some jugs in at night then.

lesa, it has really helped having the cold frame with this windy rainy blustery weather we have been having. WE can put them in there and not worry about them for the day.

journey, I was thinking about using it this fall to try and grow some late season crops, so we would probbably be better off painting the back black then.
thanks for the idea!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow! You can really see the size of that now! Excellent! Using it to extend your growing season in the fall is a great idea! Looks like all your hard work is really paying off!

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
The plants spent their first night in the coldframe. It got down to 38deg last night, I covered it with a medium weight tarp this morning they looked great! Hopefully no more carrying them in and out every day

Latest posts