Cole crops

Mauldintiger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So, I have a problem with neighborhood rabbits and Broccoli, lettuce for sure. Not sure if they like arugula, kale, Swiss chard and spinach, here is my solution. I'll plant lettuce in the straw bales later, hope they can't climb!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 133

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That might work ... rabbits don't seem to be very clever.

Oh yes, they like broccoli!

Let us know.

Steve

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Let us know how that works. I think rabbits will eat anything that is green in the garden. We use rabbit fencing which we buy in large rolls around all our fields, and lay down a lip of chicken wire on the outside at the bottom to keep the armadillos from digging under.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used to hunt rabbits in season as a teenager and any non-vermin type critter I shot I cleaned and we ate it. Vermin I shot were mainly skunks., They were not on the menu. I didn't cook rabbit though, Mom did that. She'd normally boil it up in a stew but I can't remember details. I don't hunt any more though.

I've tried a lot of different baits to trap a rabbit in a live trap. The only thing that's ever worked for me was cantaloupe when I was actually going after a groundhog and that only worked for rabbit once. Never did get a groundhog in that trap.

I wonder if it wasn't really the bait but that the rabbit just wandered in there. I built a box out of plywood to go over the trap so the only way anything can approach is from the front. Dad trapped rabbits by building a crude live trap and burying everything but the opening in a rock pile so it looked like a hole. He did not use any bait. With that box over it, my trap may have looked like a hole.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ground hogs are very smart and hard to trap. We have only caught a few small ones. We finally resorted to poison. Hate to do it but all that work and one gopher can wipe out a giant garden in a week.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was just thinking about why I would not have been eating rabbit as a kid. I'm afraid that I upset the neighborhood by shooting marmots.

One neighbor was all in favor of it because his dachshund had to be taken to the vet after attacking a marmot. I wanted them gone so I brought him my 22. We practiced on a fence post ... which brought the neighbors out in their yard. Neighbor with the gun tried and failed so he wanted me to kill them.

Brought the other neighbors out again!

I imagine that they would consider shooting the rabbits "beyond acceptable." I can't get either of two neighbors interested in doing it for me! The first guy even bought his own gun in case the marmots come back!

I worry that this attitude will lead to deer, elk and moose in the neighborhood! What do I have to worry about the bunnies!

Steve :eek:

Latest posts