Cole slaw recipe

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I pour a couple of TBS of acv in the mixing bowl, add sugar, more in volume than the acv and swirl until the sugar is mostly dissolved.
I use unbleached cane sugar, not that it matters. I shred the cabbage on the mandolin or with a chefs knife, grate a few carrots and toss all that into the mixing bowl with the acv/ sugar mix and stir. Then I mix sour cream and mayo 50/50 and add. Grind some pepper over all and stick it in the fridge. Oh, put it in the serving bowl and cover with plastic wrap first :) . When it's nice and cold, serve.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you. Just made it with your recipe. Mine may be a little off as I guessed measurements. It's cooling in frig now

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bet the sour cream makes it really good... I had never thought to add that. Coleslaw here I come!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow, interesting recipe thistle! I love sour cream, bet it would be great in cole slaw!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
So Seed, you also put peppers and onion in your slaw? That's a great idea, I like onions in everything and dh like peppers (hot) in everything!:p

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is my favorite. It's a more southern style (you purists down south will want to omit the mayo, but Dew makes me add it...yankee :/ )

Ingredients:

1 medium head cabbage (about 4 cups thinly sliced)
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
1 large carrot shredded
1-1/4 cup mayo (omit for souther style)
1 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons celery seed
3/4 to 1 cup sugar (more or less to taste)
1 tablespoon dry mustard
salt and pepper to taste

Preparation:

Core and remove outer leaves from cabbage. Slice cabbage into 1/8-1/4 wide strips and soak in ice water for 20 minutes. Drain well, patting dry with towels. Place cabbage in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients; mix well and chill.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
So Seed, you also put peppers and onion in your slaw? That's a great idea, I like onions in everything and dh like peppers (hot) in everything!:p
I'm not suppose to add onions and peppers? Who knew?

Latest posts