Collecting Seeds

sunnychooks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How do you collect, handle, store and prepare seeds to plant the following season? Are different types of seeds handled in different ways? Do they have to be dried or kept in certain conditions? Or do you just collect the seeds and plant them the next year?

unclejoe

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I don't have any links off the top of my head but if you
"Google" saving seeds there is a mountain info. That's what I did and yes there are ways to go about it to make sure you get your best yield of viable seeds

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Most of my seeds are as I looked them up or "googled" the how to's. Most of them I just leave on the plant until they are dried. I store them in a fabric box to keep out moisture. Some get wrapped in tin foil, while others go in paper envelopes.

I spent this morning collected seeds that were ready. This seems to be the most seed productive time so I collect almost daily!

katz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The best place to get seeds is from your local home grown Farmer's market stand as the farmers grow what grows best for your area and what is a good producer , some seeds are easier to save than others. For watermelon, cantaloupe or any melon ,pumpkin,winter squash, peppers and tomatoes .... get a (ripe ) veggie and just scoop out the seeds on to a paper towel ,separate the seeds and you can rinse them and then place on a paper towel, label the paper towel , let the seeds dry and move the seeds around on the paper while they are drying to keep them from sticking to the paper for several weeks and then place in a envelope and label .
Some seeds are better dried whole like a shucked ear of mature corn and mature okra pod's . Some veggies make seeds on top like flowers that you can gather before the seed pod is dropped off , like lettuce,mustard, spinach and other greens.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
katz said:
For watermelon, cantaloupe or any melon ,pumpkin,winter squash, peppers and tomatoes .... get a (ripe ) veggie and just scoop out the seeds on to a paper towel ,separate the seeds and you can rinse them and then place on a paper towel, label the paper towel , let the seeds dry and move the seeds around on the paper while they are drying to keep them from sticking to the paper for several weeks and then place in a envelope and label .
Thanks for that... I was having an issue with collecting cantaloupe this year. I really wanted some for next year and I got my cantaloupes locally grown from a farm stand down the street, but I was unable to get them clean well and just gave up. I'll try again sometime... I may go for a few watermelons still I can still get those.

katz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Dont be afraid of seeds.... just dry them and try planting them ! If they come up ,you got plants and if they dont ,try again !

A grocery store is a great place for seeds.... all the whole dry beans will grow like pinto,soy and others.

Buy a winter squash or exotic melon... eat the fruit but save those seeds !

Avocado,star fruit,cheromiah,guava,pomegranate ,papaya,mango and kiwi fruit will all grow from grocery store fruit seeds ....... some of these listed need another pollinator and they may never fruit, it also takes a while for them to mature to producing size but they will grow ,even for just a free conversational plant.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You're going to have me at the grocery store buying crazy fruits and veggies just so I can give it a go next season to see what happens :lol:

Got me an eggplant from the chicken farm I want to try (I go to buy a dozen eggs and they send me home with eggs, tomatoes, peppers and an eggplant for $2!).

Going to fry it up with an omelet in the morning, and save the seeds.

katz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
You grow girl !! ;)

It cant hurt to try ! Just make sure the fruit is mature & ripe.

Latest posts