Color schemes?!? ***UPDATE on POST 15 P2***

Rusty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Okay, I've looked until my eyes are crossing. Somebody mentioned using ivory. Soooo... How about this ivory zinnia in the bed instead of the marigold?

5683_zinniamagellanivory.jpg

Or possibly the Tiger Eyes marigold in the bed and these zinnias in a corner on the deck as a contrast to all the peachiness since I cannot find a dark red that I like?

Are we crazy yet? :sick

Rusty

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rusty,

What I usually do when picking out colors that go well is that I take my fabrics, paint color swatches, etc. with me when I go shopping. I can then place them against what I'm looking at.

Take your pictures with you and put them next to the seed packages, catalog pictures, or plants that you are considering. You will see which ones go together. There will be several that do and you just might pick out more than one!:)

Hope this helps,
mary

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh yes, take some samples shopping with you! For those hard to find colors and spots just wait until spring and goto the nursery to make your decision! :)

I have orange marigolds with red tips I am saving seeds for to try next year. But I have no idea what will look good with them. So I'm going to wait until spring, see what takes and how many then goto the nursery and color match then. :cool:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a very good idea, printing it out and carrying it with you. Side by side, those ivory zinnas look really good with your peachy colors. Maybe try adding to that something in the shade of red you see in the corner of the pics with the peach zinnas and peach geraniums. Solid red geraniums might be a good combo with that. They all seem to be related.

ETA: I just checked out your website Rusty, and your beautiful quarter horses. I used my horse's name for my alias too! :lol: Well, his name is technically Bandit's Spirit of Freedom, but I call him Journey!

Rusty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well, I placed my order! Since the deck is only 10 x 10 I didn't want to overwhelm it with too many pots or we wouldn't be able to get in the front door. It was really hard to pick and choose. Here is what I finally went with:

For the window boxes I chose the apricot profusion zinnia
5683_zinniaprofusionapricot.jpg

For the stairs up to the deck I got the salmon orbit geranium
5683_geraniumorbitsalmon.jpg

Next, I have a buddha sitting on a small platform in front of a dwarf Burford holly and that's where I will arrange some pots of ivory magellan zinnias
5683_zinniamagellanivory.jpg
and maybe 1-2 of the apricots for contrast.

For the hanging baskets, the flambe petunias
5683_petuniaflambe.jpg

And down in that small bed at the foot of the stairs I finally decided on the Tiger Eyes marigolds
5683_marigoldtigereyes.jpg

I want to thank everybody for all their great suggestions. Thanks to you I added a few more colors that I would have never even thought of without your input! I will be sure to post some shots later in the spring to give you an idea how it all turned out!

:rainbow-sun

Rusty

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It never hurts to ask, it only helps... and opinions are like... oh wait, lets not do that saying! :lol:

Congrats on your color choices, they are lovely!

You better share photos of them in bloom this summer so we can see how well they work. ;)

Latest posts