Colorado Prairie Planting

GardenArtist

Leafing Out
Reaction score
OK- so we just moved out here this past summer and the only things already in the garden at our home that seemed to grow well were herbs and concord grapes... and a ton of Russian Sage bushes. That being said we live in the prairie of Pueblo West. So our soil is currently very sandy with deeper deposits of clay. As it's not yet gardening season here (everyone is telling me after May1st to be safe) how can I go about getting the sandy soil to be more along the lines of what I need for a decent veggie/fruit garden? It holds almost no water right now. OR should I give up and go with raised beds and new dirt fill in them? Also- what are some of the more reliable plants for around here. Typically in the summer it gets VERY hot and dry as well as windy (20mph steady is typical). I would like to be more self sufficient, but moving from PA where everything is great for growing leaves me with a lack of understanding this growing environment. Help appreciated... book suggestions too!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
GardenArtist said:
So our soil is currently very sandy with deeper deposits of clay. As it's not yet gardening season here (everyone is telling me after May1st to be safe) how can I go about getting the sandy soil to be more along the lines of what I need for a decent veggie/fruit garden? It holds almost no water right now. OR should I give up and go with raised beds and new dirt fill in them? Also- what are some of the more reliable plants for around here. Typically in the summer it gets VERY hot and dry as well as windy (20mph steady is typical).
First, let me say that I have never lived out West, tho have driven around out there a bunch :)

That said, it seems to me that indisputably what you need to improve your soil is organic matter. The more the better. See what you can find. Large quantities of well-balanced finished compost would of course be ideal, but meanwhile back in the real world <g> whatever you get will be useful. You can compost or sheet-compost it til Spring and then till it in. (I am generally pretty anti-tiller, but this might be one circumstance where it'd be useful. Just the one first time. Or you could dig it all in, instead)

Raised beds are generally considered a Real Bad Idea in droughty areas. I'd suggest rather than raising beds, per se, just make regular beds of improved soil, you know?

Actually some people plant *sunken* beds, to get maximal water benefit and to get some extra shelter from the wind. This won't work if you sometimes get big rains that don't drain immediately, or if you want to plant perennial things and have wet winters. Otherwise though it'd be something to think about.

You will want to put an windbreak on the upwind side of your beds. Something a bit wind-permeable is best, as it minimizes downwind turbulence -- a closely-set picket fence, stacked rock wall, brushpiles that are staked down real well (tho they may become a rabbit farm), whatever is handy.

In dry hot climates, rocks can also be helpful for planting. The idea is that when you put in a little plant, you sock a good-sized rock or few rocks on the south or south-and-west side of it. This gives some thermal buffering against cold nights and may give a little shade depending ont he rock, but mostly what it does is keep the plants' roots cooler and MOISTER than if the ground were exposed. Since reading about this, I have used this a nubmer of times here, and it is QUITE helpful. And that's in a much milder wetter climate :)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

allabout

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I live my life amending clay soil, I am of no help. However, I would like to welcome you to the forum. May all you questions be answered by a bunch that's just glad to have you here.

:welcome

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What pat said. :thumbsup

Start as if you were learning to garden all over again from scratch. I tell you as someone who moved from Amish Country, where all you had to do to grow amazing beefsteak tomatoes was throw a seed in any direction, to New England where the rocks, ice, predators and weeds all conspire against your success. Start over as if you were the worst beginner. Start with short-season greens and such so you'll have a vague sense of accomplishment if everything else fails. Call the state university extension office to see what does well in your climate.

I had a nice garden in PA. I had a decent garden in Ohio, even with the Lake Effect and all off Lake Erie. I moved to Massachusetts fairly confident I could handle a 60x60 garden, and found out otherwise. Don't be discouraged when nothing grows at all like you'd hoped.

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I live north of you on the Palmer Divide in Colorado. We're at 6800 feet here so it's technically high desert. I've spent the last five years amending this soil with compost and manure and I think I've finally got dirt that might grow something. If you can afford to dump a few tons of compost and quality top soil on the top of your ground you'll be a few years ahead of the game but if you can't you'll need to be patient. I would till up the ground and put some good compost or aged manure just in the rows or holes you will be using. I would mulch the plants with shredded paper and straw and start a compost pile. At the end of the season I would do some layers of manure, compost and anything else you can put on there that will decompose over the winter....leaves, grass clippings, straw.... Then next season you can till it all in and you can start all over again.... Good luck!

beak

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Welcome to the high plains. When we first moved here I tried to till a garden using a regular tiller. The blades just bounced on the ground. I ended up going to Home Depot and renting their biggest tiller which is hydraulic. It is the only thing that will do more than scrape the weeds off. We have been adding manure every year and the soil is better. Peas, Beans, Lettuce, Spinach, Tomatoes carrots all grow in it but can't seem to get the corn to fully mature.

Your wind is only 20mph? We're on top of a hill, great views but horrible wind. We use soaker hoses to water. The sprinklers just blow all over the place. Must be quite a change from PA. I spent a couple weeks there during the summer. Place is real pretty. They actually have naturally occurring grass.

Just gotta stick with it. If you try long enough it will turn into dirt.