Come on cukes (RAH RAH)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I planted some Marketmore 76 seeds along the part of the trellis my volunteer tomato isn't hogging and I noticed the first shoots popping up this morning. The tomato doesn't leave me all that much trellis but a few cuke vines make a lot of fruit. I gave the tomato a good talking to and told it that's all the trellis it can have. I even showed it the clippers. Maybe that will make it behave.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You tell her, Hoodat! I think you showed us pics of the giant tomato plants that grow on that trellis... I am not sure you can win this one! That baby was huge! Hooray, for the cuke sprouts!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cukes and tomatoes! Should tolerate each other - they go so well together under a little Italian dressing :p.

I have never trellised a cucumber but I've got a chance this year - or, should I go with pole beans? Full southern exposure on the south wall of my garage. Yep, it's in Ken's yard and I've got at least that much room outside the shed & hoophouse that are going up.

Can a cucumber, maybe a lemon cucumber, take that kind of heat and sun? He had beans on that trellis but I don't want to hurt his feelings by growing the same thing and then sneaking away thru the fence with the harvest. . . Hey! Nobody said anything about any rent!

Steve

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
good luck making the tomato behave. gosh, until last year, i had no idea what space hogs they are.
i'm thinking i want to tellis my cukes over metal fencing arching from the side of one bed over to the bed on the otherside of the walk. it would be so fun to go in a "tunnel" and pick a cucumber.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I always prefer to trellis my cukes. Thet have that nice green color all over without that yellow spot where they touch the ground and don't get sun. It also keeps the foliage away from soil borne diseases.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used those cheap round tomato cages to trellis my cukes last year. worked pretty good. Of course, the cuke vines got a lot taller than the cage, but they just crawled around over the tops. They did hide a few cukes in the middle of the mass, tho.

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
I planted some Marketmore 76 seeds along the part of the trellis my volunteer tomato isn't hogging and I noticed the first shoots popping up this morning. The tomato doesn't leave me all that much trellis but a few cuke vines make a lot of fruit. I gave the tomato a good talking to and told it that's all the trellis it can have. I even showed it the clippers. Maybe that will make it behave.
YAY!!!...Have you grown cukes along and up a trellis before? I wonder how tall the Marketmore vines will get..I grew Armenian Cukes up a trellis (well actually two trellises) once, and that baby grew way over the top of my GH..And the cukes (really a melon) were up to two feet long, if I let them grow..Quite a sight..I thought it was lovely..But they kind of overtook my GH..lol ..I should find the pictures and post them.

Dont you know the more talking to you give your tomato plants the more they grow?? LOL :p

Ginny

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder that MONTHS from now I need to better trellis my cukes this year. hehehe :rolleyes:

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hoodat do you direct seed your cuc's? I have the worst luck getting my cuc's to take but once they do then their off.

I have used field fence formed into an tube. About 1 1/2 ft across stacked double high for my cuc's for years. You just have to be sure to tie them up on a regular basis. Works great for my raised beds.

That and be sure you try to keep them on the outside. Sometimes I will miss a cucumber and then its a pain sticking my arm inside. :lol:

g

Latest posts