communication might be different

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have you ever wondered how communication might be different?

Keller%25252C%252520Sullivan%252520%252526%252520Bell.JPG

Can you identify the people in this photograph?

Steve
edited to re-word a question

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Right you are, Moxie!

The translator is Anne Sullivan.

The centennial issue of the National Geographic several years ago has some of the story about the relationship between these 3 people. Bell's first work was helping the deaf communicate. Of course, Helen Keller was not only deaf but blind.

Probably it was learning a little about Helen Keller that first sparked in me an appreciation of reading. Someone who had to work around such barriers to learn and communicate, Helen changed how people thought about those who are disabled. She also gave hope and courage to the disabled. As monumental as all that was, Helen Keller accomplished even more.

I am knowledgeable about these folks only by a little reading and watching The Miracle Worker. Obviously, Helen the girl was a genius trapped without the ability to communicate with others. It was none other than Mark Twain who originally named Anne Sullivan, the Miracle Worker (click).

Bell's telephone patent has been described as the "most valuable in history" by those who think to measure such things. Imagine how greatly his invention changed our world! Later, 7 Nobel Prizes in physics would be awarded for work done at Bell Laboratories.

How about those apples??!

Steve :)

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It was too early this morning to remember Annie Sullivans name. (Pre-coffee). But I couldn't resist. I recognized those 3 people very easily.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Right you are, Moxie!

The translator is Anne Sullivan.

The centennial issue of the National Geographic several years ago has some of the story about the relationship between these 3 people. Bell's first work was helping the deaf communicate. Of course, Helen Keller was not only deaf but blind.

Probably it was learning a little about Helen Keller that first sparked in me an appreciation of reading. Someone who had to work around such barriers to learn and communicate, Helen changed how people thought about those who are disabled. She also gave hope and courage to the disabled. As monumental as all that was, Helen Keller accomplished even more.

I am knowledgeable about these folks only by a little reading and watching The Miracle Worker. Obviously, Helen the girl was a genius trapped without the ability to communicate with others. It was none other than Mark Twain who originally named Anne Sullivan, the Miracle Worker (click).

Bell's telephone patent has been described as the "most valuable in history" by those who think to measure such things. Imagine how greatly his invention changed our world! Later, 7 Nobel Prizes in physics would be awarded for work done at Bell Laboratories.

How about those apples??!

Steve :)
Bell's wife was deaf whichis why he he was working on something to help the deaf hear...

Latest posts