Community grocery starved for support

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
12 Oct, 2013 The Columbian , Vancouver, Wa. . The Vancouver Food Cooperative ... an inspired not profit grocery store with over 400 members ... " Their failure to back good intentions with dollars is emblematic of the co-op's whole problem, according to board president Kirk Wright: People who claim to care aren't keeping their commitments. Not only are they not coming through with the one-time member dues that capitalize the store's operations, he said, they're also not volunteering and not even shopping at the store enough to keep it alive. The store approved it's charter and bylaws in 2009 and later established an on line store and opened it's downtown store. It is a member- owned and operated company that emphasizes " real food" according to it's mission statement " local, minimally processed, organic and healthy". "But barring a big, quick infusion of dedicated volunteerism -- no later than a special membership meeting set for Thursday night -- Wright said he expects the company to dissolve itself. That's after a period of " major financial stress" according to a letter that went ourlier this month to the co-op' membership of just over 400." " There have been many attempts to encourage shopping and to engage members and the community in store operation and staff volunteer positions critical to the organization. After much deliberation, the board has come to the conclusion that the co-op cannot be sustained in it's current form ".

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Shame but no surprise. People talk the talk but easy and cheap win out.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is so sad. People would rather have over processed "easy" food from a box or a bag rather than spend time cooking real food. My own mother raised us on crap from a can, I never knew any better until I left home. Now she lives with us and has ticked off her list of edible foods the vegetable I raise in my garden. She wants canned crap from the store!!! :he

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can see how the business would have to close its doors. I myself am guilty of taking the easy, cheaper way more often than I care to admit. I do drive about 25 miles (one way) to get my fresh milk, and buy organic veggies there when I need them, but I am just as likely to just buy everything I need at big-mart, and just get it over with. I haven't been able to convert to organic meat and chicken yet. It is available, but usually more $ than I can afford.

So sad for the few people who have tried so hard to keep that community grocery store open.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have an organic food cooperative in a near-by city. I nearly became a charter member and would patronize it if it wasn't so far. Alas, I shop at the closest store possible most of the time. This store, BASICS, seems to be doing rather well. They moved into a bigger building a couple of years back. Of course, they started as a health food and supplement store that added the cooperative aspect along with groceries at a later date. It's been here over 30 years.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe it was bad timing with this economy we are in. Everybody is looking for ways to stretch those dollars and you are already paying a lot more than we used to at the regular grocery store besides. Gas and grocery have seen the biggest jump in our monthly budget. Now the utilities are creeping up too.