Compost No No's

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Turpentine? Spent nuclear fuel rods? Family members? (e.t.a. - well ok, technically you COULD compost family members, but it is generally discouraged :p)

Really, other than toxic things, or large pieces of things that won't decompose, there's nothing you can't put in your compost pile.

Some people choose not to put in things that will attract vermin -- proteinaceous or greasy things, like meat or cooking oil -- but that is only a pest-management choice, not a necessity.

Have fun,

Pat

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't know how true it is but I heard to avoid dog and cat poop due to the possible pathogens if you are putting the compost on vegetables. As long as you completely compost it, I'm not sure it would not be OK, but I remember hearing of this.

One thing I would question is diseased vegetation. Again, I'd welcome any comments on this. I'm certainly not an expert.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good points about pathogens (both animal and plant).

In principle hot composting will take care of the vast majority of both. In practice, you can't count on all of the material composting hot enough long enough. I don't personally have any problem with pet waste going into compost for non veg gardens, but it is not a totally imaginary concern, and I would entirely agree with ridgerunner that you don't want to be putting diseased plant parts in there.

Nor seeds of really aggravatingly invasive weedy plants. (invasive weeds' roots are ok as long as sundried to a good crispy state first).

Pat, standing corrected :)

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, I feed it to the chickens of course <g>, but there is no real reason not to put it in the compost pile. In terms of attracting pests, there are plenty worse things :p

Pat

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
To try to keep things out of the compost that rodents might especially like - My rule of thumb is to not put in anything that is cooked. The only exception I make is coffee and tea. Coffee is cooked and I suppose tea could be thought of as such, also. And, I don't put cheese in there - somehow, the thought of doing so brings mice immediately to mind ;).

I'm not inclined to have raw meat that needs to be thrown away. Gravy, leftover potatoes, week-old lasagna, even leftover veggies don't go in the compost.

Of course, I have chickens also. They get nearly all our bread and other cooked foods and a lot of the more tender veggie & fruit stuff that might otherwise go in the compost. I'm not afraid to throw a little paper in the pile, also. That might be a "cooked" product. I don't really know . . .

Steve

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Turpentine? Spent nuclear fuel rods? Family members? (e.t.a. - well ok, technically you COULD compost family members, but it is generally discouraged :p)
:yuckyuck

Pat you crack me up! My wife and I got a giggle out of this.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Andy123 said:
How about frozen or canned vegetables?
Of course, but wanting to put those in the compost is really a sign that you haven't got enough chickens yet, as they convert quite nicely to *eggs*... ;)

Pat