Compost Tea Opinions Wanted

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had the brilliant idea to use the fish emulsion in my office plants!! Great idea! I am telling you I was explaining the stink to my customers for weeks!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Compost tea needs to be oxygenated in order to be used efficiently by plants. A fish tank oxygenator can be used. I would scoop it out with a bucket and not use it on your young plants. I bought a liquid organic fertilizer that could be used for hydroponics and for seedlings. I measured it carelessly and it killed 3 flats of eggplant and peppers, overnight, that were perfection. I haven't used in since. I don't blame the product. But I will use it more carefully when I get over the event.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Has anybody here read "Secrets of the Soil" by Peter Tompkins and Christopher Bird? It was first printed in 1998, and has some really unusual (to me) ideas for getting the most out of your soil. Much of it is about special preparations that increase size and yield, enrich the soil, deter bugs, etc. But the methods are so different than the typical organic composting and gardening that it's practitioners seems to border on the "lunatic fringe." But very interesting reading, although intense.