Compost Tumblers?

hipdeep

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi there! We've got an eglu for three chickens (due to arrive in June). There is a removable tray that catches the poop where they roost, that should be fairly litter free. I'm thinking about composting the droppings, as we buy Cock-a Doddle-do fertilizer and soon that will seem just plain silly.

I'm squeemish about it. I don't want to turn a pile. Can I get a tumbler and add just the poo and occasional grass clippings for some green and turn it daily? Or is this the sort of thing one shouldn't do unless they're invested in the process? I don't want to waste the money on a tumbler.

If it's not a waste, and it really is low maintenance, does anyone have a prefered tumbler?

Thanks!
-Brooke

warren

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I just tip the lot into my compost heap and leave it for a few months then dig it out and spread it around. I have never turned a compost heap in my life. Just take the top unrotted stuff off to start the next heap.

Laurie Kruczek

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I was thinking of a tumbler, too, only because I have so much chicken poop and food waste (a family of 5 and 28 chickens). I have reconsidered, and feel I just need to be patient with my pile, I think. Turning a pile isn't a big deal because you only have to do it every few months.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A lot of people I know have not had too much success with compost tumblers.

The smaller less expensive ones are just too small for any realistic gardening especially with chickens and families and the big ones are too expensive.

Researching and building a proper compost pile, turning regularly until it heats up and adding a mix of stuff is the best way to get one started and keep it sustained.

Latest posts