1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. This member need landscaping ideas - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Composted cow manure or composted leaves and grass clippings

Discussion in 'Composting & Soil Building' started by Gardening with Rabbits, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Apr 14, 2019
    ducks4you

ducks4you Garden Master

East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
    See if this Fall you can hire a teenager to mowmulch and bag up your leaves and pile them for the next Spring. It was Darwin who discovered that earthworms (and others) created soil from leaves, but they need a little help to break down. You could even till in leaves that are whole into your garden. I did that at DD's house and made the soil better, but their soil is already pretty good from years of neglect and too many huge trees dropping leaves in the fall. Funny, they live on 1/4 acre and have 1/2 a foot of leaves every Fall, I live on 5, but there is nothing to stop the west winds from plowing all of my leaves across the street to my neighbors. I don't ever have to rake or mow them in.

2. Apr 14, 2019
    seedcorn

seedcorn Garden Master

Nutrient comp would be so much more balanced. You will get more carbon, calcium, nitrogen, sulfur from manure that grasses won’t have. Grasses give you better soil texture.