Composting large amounts of noxious aggressive weeds

White Elk

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I've been warring with Himalayan Blackberry, Stinging Nettle, and English Ivy for years now. Then in every place I gain a victory the 3 foot tall Buttercups take over! I used to burn their carcases after every battle. But a neighbor complained despite my careful and efficient feed burning in a large pit. The fines are $10,000 which I can't afford to risk. I also can't afford to truck all this material offsite. So I'm stuck with composting. There are many yards of it and many more to come. I will not be able to turn them all regularly to keep them nice and hot.

I'm seeking methods to help assist a speedy and labor less-intensive way to breakdown my compost heaps. I've heard of adding Lye and other additives which I haven't been able to google up. Please share your knowledge and experiences with me to help avoid the spawning of new enemies from the bodies of my vanquished foes. I'm fighting immortals but I know they Must have a weakness!

For now I'm positioning these piles in places where any spreading of these noxious alien invaders will be the easiest to battle. But ideally I will later move these piles and hide them away in the forest as they shrink. I pull the roots and keep the root dirt to add to the pile. Then I rake up the battleground and add that dirt to the piles. I build the piles small in circumference and tall in height. And I aerate them as I add to them. I will turn the piles a couple dozen or so times a year but that'll be about as much time as I can hope to invest in them. I live in a wet climate and will only need to water them a few times in the summer I think. Will wash out coolers and such on the piles for summer watering. What else can I do to speed up the process and help ensure I kill resident seeds and root material? But I don't want any chemicals which won't naturally break down in the process.

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
White Elk said:
I've been warring with Himalayan Blackberry, Stinging Nettle, and English Ivy for years now. Then in every place I gain a victory the 3 foot tall Buttercups take over! I used to burn their carcases after every battle. But a neighbor complained despite my careful and efficient feed burning in a large pit. The fines are $10,000 which I can't afford to risk. I also can't afford to truck all this material offsite. So I'm stuck with composting. There are many yards of it and many more to come. I will not be able to turn them all regularly to keep them nice and hot.

I'm seeking methods to help assist a speedy and labor less-intensive way to breakdown my compost heaps. I've heard of adding Lye and other additives which I haven't been able to google up. Please share your knowledge and experiences with me to help avoid the spawning of new enemies from the bodies of my vanquished foes. I'm fighting immortals but I know they Must have a weakness!

For now I'm positioning these piles in places where any spreading of these noxious alien invaders will be the easiest to battle. But ideally I will later move these piles and hide them away in the forest as they shrink. I pull the roots and keep the root dirt to add to the pile. Then I rake up the battleground and add that dirt to the piles. I build the piles small in circumference and tall in height. And I aerate them as I add to them. I will turn the piles a couple dozen or so times a year but that'll be about as much time as I can hope to invest in them. I live in a wet climate and will only need to water them a few times in the summer I think. Will wash out coolers and such on the piles for summer watering. What else can I do to speed up the process and help ensure I kill resident seeds and root material? But I don't want any chemicals which won't naturally break down in the process.
First off, let me start by saying I feel your pain. We have stinging nettle and I HATE the stuff and it seems to be everywhere.

Myself, I like to use Round-Up to just kill the stuff BUT I know this is not for everyone. A neighbor told me to get some high-acidic vinegar from the local feed store or Tractor Supply (like 20% or some such thing), put it undiluted in a sprayer then during the hottest part of the day spray the unwanted pests with the vinegar. He says it takes a few days but it will kill as well as a chemical herbicide. I have not tried it yet since I still have Round-Up left but once I run out I'm going to give it a go.

chickensista

Leafing Out
Reaction score
What else can I do to speed up the process and help ensure I kill resident seeds and root material? But I don't want any chemicals which won't naturally break down in the process
You can try covering the entire pile with a black tarp, landscape fabric, etc. I haven't done this myself yet, but have seen it on gardening shows. Seems to work really well. Mix up the pile and make sure it has enough moisture before tarping.
Good luck!

White Elk

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Broke Down Ranch said:
First off, let me start by saying I feel your pain. We have stinging nettle and I HATE the stuff and it seems to be everywhere.

Myself, I like to use Round-Up to just kill the stuff BUT I know this is not for everyone. A neighbor told me to get some high-acidic vinegar from the local feed store or Tractor Supply (like 20% or some such thing), put it undiluted in a sprayer then during the hottest part of the day spray the unwanted pests with the vinegar. He says it takes a few days but it will kill as well as a chemical herbicide. I have not tried it yet since I still have Round-Up left but once I run out I'm going to give it a go.
I tried poisens before but I inherintly dislike them and in my test batches of elbow grease vs chemical spray I saw no big difference in the return of those green beasts. This year I yank them out by the roots again and will clear the ground of branches and play some Farmers Golf to collect the stones. We did some forestry work which will reduce the fallen branches and so now I should be able to regularly use the weed eater to take down all the new growth. Eventually the storage in any of the root material I miss should be exhausted I think. And the noob seeded plants shouldn't last long. I hope this happens fast as I want to plant some sturdy grass which lays down and add some wild flower seeds thoughout. I'd rather not have to hand weed these large spaces again once the flowers take hold.

White Elk

Leafing Out
Reaction score
chickensista said:
What else can I do to speed up the process and help ensure I kill resident seeds and root material? But I don't want any chemicals which won't naturally break down in the process
You can try covering the entire pile with a black tarp, landscape fabric, etc. I haven't done this myself yet, but have seen it on gardening shows. Seems to work really well. Mix up the pile and make sure it has enough moisture before tarping.
Good luck!
Hmmm I've got patches of old landscape fabric which has seen better days, and some bits of the new stuff we are installing. I think I'll make a patchwork quilt of the stuff. It'll let in the water and keep it from evaporating out. And it will help heat up the pile on our rare sunny days. Ty for the tip!

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Remember that is you are spraying make sure you are using the correct chemical. Pre or Post emergeint depending on where in the process you are spraying them.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have heard of putting the plants in black plastic bags, adding fertilizer and a little water, sealing them up and placing them in a sunny spot. By next year they are supposed to be sufficiently composted. I have tried this with leaves only, so not sure about if this would kill weed seeds in the process.

chickensista

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hmmm I've got patches of old landscape fabric which has seen better days, and some bits of the new stuff we are installing. I think I'll make a patchwork quilt of the stuff. It'll let in the water and keep it from evaporating out. And it will help heat up the pile on our rare sunny days. Ty for the tip!
Ur Welcome! Let us know how it works. I'm really slow at incorporating new things so may not even get around to trying it until next year. :dance
Happy Weeding!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
the ideal thing would be a chipper/shredder. I know it would be a bit of an investment (perhaps you could find a secondhand one??) but it sounds like you would get quite a lot of use out of it ;)

the idea is to chip/shred everything that isn't a root or a seed. Roots should be left to bake to crispiness in the sun for a few days before shredding and composting. (I do not know about blackberry roots specifically - they might just need shredding or they might need longer sun-drying).

it will take up much less space, and compost down QUITE a bit faster.

Good luck,

Pat

White Elk

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I really could use a chipper!! Just can't afford one but will need to rent one. So perhaps I should strategize the noixious weed erradication with the chipper in mind. Means shaking the roots etc to cut down on dirt. The added project time might be worth the decreased composting time. Then see if I can find some effective compost starter additive? Then hopefully I can get ahold of some throw away heavy black plastic to cover the piles with. Home builders around here buy them to cover the foundation dirt piles; then thow them away once the holes are backfilled. I know because I worked for a builder who did. He like many other builders foolishly think its cheaper to buy them than to invest folding them up and reusing them. They throw away all kinds of stuff. Perhaps I can find one who will let me salvage good stuff.

My idea to patchwork a cover of recycled landscaping fabric is not worth the time particularly since I have another use for it (cover gravel drains around duck pond); and I wouldnt have enough for all the piles. The things in the compost I worry most about are the plants which can root from anywhere on the plant... like the Blackberry and Ivy. And the seemingly miles of Stinging Nettle roots which grow just under the surface of the ground. Nasty stuff!

Latest posts